Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jatcat616 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 10:25 PM
    My dentist placed a steel crown on my tooth and said to give it about a year..
    My dentist gave me a root canal about a year ago. I had bad pain from the injections of the anesthetics. I went by several times to have him check on it and he said he would like to wait to make sure everything was okay and that the tooth (what was left) did not crack or split. I had no temporary crown. Today, He gave me a small local numbing shot and placed a permanent steel crown (with cement)on the tooth(last molar)... he adjusted the crown a couple of times and asked about the fit in my mouth. I told him it hurt. He said it was just the pressure of the crown and that it would go away. The other side of my mouth barely closes now. When all the numbing went away, my gums around the steel crown are throbbing, I have a fever, and I can not bite down without it hurting. I am soooooo afraid to go back. He cemented the thing in... how bad will the pain be for it to be removed. The shots for numbing cause me enormous pain after the effect wears off. The dentist does not like to give any pain meds except ibuprofen. I think I would rather have major surgery or a limb cut off.

Scared of the crown
    ladytab Posts: 29, Reputation: 6

Mar 29, 2010, 10:32 PM

If it were me: I'd give it some time and see what happens but if it didn't stop hurting within a few days I would go to a DIFFERENT dentist. I've known many people (including my mom) who've had root canals - and a friend who worked at a dentist office - and I've never heard of a case in which they didn't put a temporary crown on and I've never heard of a dentist waiting that long before putting a permanent one on. Also, the shots should definitely not hurt after the actual medicine wears off. Hope all turns out for the best!
    Amir1981 Posts: 246, Reputation: 6

Mar 29, 2010, 11:22 PM

Hmmm he should have made a regular acrylic/resin temporary crown I think... its rare to use a stainless steel crown on an adult tooth
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 06:48 AM
    Definitely rare for a stainless steel crown to be used on an adult tooth.
    I'd suggest you see a different dentist!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why did my dentist put on a crown without a root canal? [ 5 Answers ]

Two years ago my dentist worked with my front incisors which had been broken in a freak pogo-stick accident when I was a child. Way back then, my childhood dentist told me one day the teeth might die and need root canals. Fifteen years later, I developed a blister over one of the incisors and...

Dentist won't pull tooth [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, About 6 months ago, my husband saw a dentist. The dentist refused to do any cleaning, saying all he would do would be an extraction, and referred him to a periodontist. We went to the periodontist who said he needed Osseous surgery, and quoted us almost $3000 (and likely more after that......

While having work done the dentist broke an existing crown. [ 6 Answers ]

I just recently had a crown put on a front tooth right next to an existing crown. The new one was out a little farther the old one which made my teeth come together uneven. Since the Doctor could not add to the new one to make my bite more comfortable I suggested the doctor remove some from the old...

Tooth too small for a crown - dentist wants to trim down my gums [ 1 Answers ]

I'm located in South Korea and I've had a really bad tooth for a while so I decided to take advantage of the national health care and see a dentist about my tooth. I was informed that I needed a crown and "nerve treatment". From the tools that the dentist was using I recognized the files as the...

View more questions Search