Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask

View Poll Results: Do You Prefer to Wash Dishes By Hand or to Use An Automatic Dishwasher?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer to use an automatic dishwasher.

10 58.82%
  • I prefer to wash them by hand.

7 41.18%
  • I have no preference in how the dishes are washed.

0 0%
  • I use paper and plastic so I don't need to wash any dishes and utensils.

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 04:22 PM

Energy waster
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2010, 04:27 PM

I like to wash my dishes by hand. I don't have a dish washer either so I don't get much of a choice now do I?

I like washing dishes and having my laptop nearby and listen to a lecture from the internet, something interesting. Like maybe a sermon [even if I am an "Atheist", I still like hearing what religious folk have to say], or something I completely don't understand like quantum physics...

I also like washing dishes because I like water. I like those pruney hands, I like seeing the grime come off too.

I still hate washing pots though. Especially if I forgot to have it soaking overnight.

Okay that's my take on handwashing vs. machine washing.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 04:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    energy waster
    I corrected my error in spelling. ;)
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 04:56 PM
    Doesn't anyone else think that washing them by hand is at least somewhat therapeutic? :confused: :)
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 05:47 PM
    Originally posted by mudweiser
    Yes!
    How is washing them by hand therapeutic for you, mudweiser?

Thanks!
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2010, 05:52 PM

I like the water! I like hearing it rush, I like feeling it. When I have a lecture going on as I wash dishes I'm kind of zoned out. Whatever problems I had that day fade away :)
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 06:01 PM
    I really like your reasons, mudweiser!

Mine would be similar and I also like the feel that my hands have after being in the hot water and also the feeling of getting something done! (Accomplishment.)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 06:06 PM

I've never owned a dishwasher, and there's no choice like that on the survey. I've always done dishes by hand.
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 06:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I've never owned a dishwasher, and there's no choice like that on the survey. I've always done dishes by hand.
    The poll had to do with what a person prefers, not whether they own a diswasher or not. For that matter, a person could be having a cleaning person doing their dishes.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 3, 2010, 01:46 PM

Over the years I've installed hundreds of dishwashers in condos we have plumbed.
    Wouldn't take one as a gift myself.
    So you got to "prewash" before you put the dishes in the DW.
    Let's see. Ya got to wash them by hand to get the sticky- ickey dried up crud off the plates. Now you place them in the dishwasher and wash them all over again. More water, more work, more time, more power with the same result as hand waased.
    At my place I'm hooked up with a superb cook. She cooks, I wash and I eat much better then if I lived alone. Works for me!
    This is Teresa Marie. My friend, companion of 16 years and the best cook around town. A formal model She just turned 60 a few months ago and this picture was taken on her birthday. Cheers to all, Tom
    Attached Images

Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Over the years I've installed hundreds of dishwashers in condos we have plumbed.
    Wouldn't take one as a gift myself.
    So ya gotta "prewash" before you put the dishes in the DW.
    Let's see. Ya gotta wash them by hand to get the sticky- ickey dried up crud off the plates. Now ya place them in the dishwasher and wash them all over again. More water, more work, more time, more power with the same result as hand waased.
    At my place I'm hooked up with a superb cook. She cooks, I wash and I eat much better then if I lived alone. Works for me!!
    This is Teresa Marie. my friend, companion of 16 years and the best cook around town. A formal model She just turned 60 a few months ago and this picture was taken on her birthday. Cheers to all, Tom
    Ps, sorry for the spelling errors (not on my computer):o

Nice picture and she is beautiful:)

When I moved into my home 18 years ago... it came with a Magic Chef dishwasher.
    I never did anything except take the excess food off the plate, bowl burned on glass dish etc.
    All my dishes, pans, glasses came out sparkling. Better than if I scrubbed them by hand, to the point that I would not wash the glass casserole dishes because I could not get them as clean, even with soaking.
    I could hear that thing running even if I was down the street at our neighbors, but I didn't care.
    It finally broke down and had to be replaced with some expensive piece of cr*p. Now I wash my stuff by hand most of the time. It was very sad for me that they can't make a good noisy dishwasher anymore:(
    I mean what's the point? If you have to rinse, scrub... basically clean and then put in to sterilize?:confused::rolleyes:
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2010, 09:05 PM

My vote: Have Clough do it.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2010, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    My vote: Have Clough do it.
    Hmmm... Maybe I should have put that on the poll too! :p
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 15, 2010, 04:29 PM

I just wanted to mention, in case I forgot to earlier...
    That Borax and Baking soda equal parts is a wonderful Dishwasher Detergent.

Mix it all together (mine is in a plastic baggie) and use a heaping Tablespoon instead of the stuff you buy at the store.

It cleans just as good as the expensive stuff that I used to buy.

Always make sure your water is hot before you start the DW.:D
    Uber Member

Apr 15, 2010, 08:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I just wanted to mention, in case I forgot to earlier...
    that Borax and Baking soda equal parts is a wonderful Dishwasher Detergent.

Mix it all together (mine is in a plastic baggie) and use a heaping Tablespoon instead of the stuff you buy at the store.

It cleans just as good as the expensive stuff that I used to buy.

Always make sure your water is hot before you start the DW.:D
    Mentioning the elements to use for dishwashing is a wonderful addition to this thread! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water stopped in the middle of washing dishes [ 0 Answers ]

I have a moen kitchen with a pull out handle, I was washing dishers and the water stopped. What would cause this to happen?

Dishwasher makes dishes smell bad [ 4 Answers ]

I have a kenmore automatic dishwasher and lately, when I remove the dishes, there is a sour kind of smell on them and in the washer itself. Is there any way to clean this? I know in a coffee pot you run a cycle with vinegar and hot water but that won't work with a dishwasher.

Kenmore dishwasher, dishes come out dirty [ 2 Answers ]

So, here's the scoop. It is a one year old Kenmore, model FT1103259, that has been working fine until about a month ago. Glasses (especially) come out foggy and unclean. I use JET DRY and have changed brands of detergents, all without result. It appears that there is a filter or whatnot that...

View more questions Search