Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 3, 2010, 10:03 PM
    I can see that you're looking at this thread, bleusong52!
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 08:59 PM

Hot and Sour Soup.

Boil soup marrow bone for a beef stock, remove bone. Let cool.

* 1 cake tofu (fresh, if possible)
    * 2 ounces pork tenderloin
    * Marinade:
    * 1 teaspoon soy sauce
    * 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
    * 1 teaspoon tapioca starch (or cornstarch)(optional)
    * Other:
    * 1/2 cup bamboo shoots
    * 3 - 4 Chinese dried black mushrooms or fresh mushrooms
    * 6 cups water (or 6 cups water and 1 cup beef stock )
    * 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    * 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    * 2 tablespoons soy sauce
    * 2 tablespoons red rice vinegar, white rice vinegar, or red wine vinegar
    * 1 teaspoon sesame oil
    * 1 Tbsp cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 cup water
    * 1 egg, beaten
    * 1 green onion, finely chopped
    * White pepper to taste (no more than 1 tablespoon)
    * Hot chili oil, to taste, optional

Shred pork. Mix marinade ingredients and marinate pork for 20 minutes.

Cut tofu into small squares. Cut bamboo shoots into thin strips and then into fine slices. Cut mushrooms,

Bring the water to a boil. When it is boiling, add the bamboo shoots, mushrooms. Stir. Add the tofu. Bring back to a boil and add the marinated pork.
    Stir in the salt, sugar, soy sauce and vinegar and sesame oil.
    Test the broth and adjust the taste if desired. (If using chicken broth, you may want to add a bit more rice vinegar).

Mix the cornstarch and water. Slowly pour the cornstarch mixture into the soup, stirring while it is being added. Let the broth come back to a boil. As soon as it is boiling, remove the broth from the stove.

Slowly drop in the beaten egg, stirring in one direction at the same time. Add the green onion and the white pepper to taste. Drizzle with chili oil if desired. Serve hot.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 09:03 PM

KP, can I have the butternut squash recipe please??
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 10:33 PM
    I don't have the recipe in front of me... at the ex's, but its roughly this-ish... again, I cook a lot by instinct and what I have available, so amounts are guesstimated. I wouldn't hesitate to make it with the following directions.

In the end you will purée this... so what you toss is is flexible.

Two butternut squash, peeled and cubed
    Ill often toss in a can of pumpkin (like you'd buy for making the pie)
    I've also cooked it with some carrots tossed in. good to work off.
    Onion... optional leeks, optional a few garlic cloves.
    Butter
    Chix stock... at least a big can... always have a couple small around to extend if needed.
    If I have the time ill boost the stock by simmering some chix thighs ahead of time and work the chicken into whatever... they never go to waste.
    Salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne or curry
    Whatever dairy you want to use to adjust for richness... cream, half and half, sour cream,.

So... id start with softening a diced onion in butter... if I have leeks and want to use 'em, id toss those in too, but not necessary. You can skip the onions and all, but I like it better with, and I just like to start most recipes with butter and onions. A lot can go right after that.

So then id add the cubed squash. Some people bake it first because they don't like peeling it and cutting it... I don't care. I cut it laterally with a good knife into rounds and then cut off the outer peel (as opposed to the inner?)... if cutting up a fresh pineapple annoys you, you might look at the baking method for softening it first. I have good knives and I have no problem. I'm meaner than that damn squash.

Add any carrots if you want or any other veggies. I hold back on the pumpkin... I like to add it later. Add a bunch of chicken broth to cover and simmer until the squash is squashable. OK, softened. Wtfever.

Drink a nice pinot grigio while its simmering. Or whatever.

Then carefully transfer portions of the piping hot soup to a food processor or blender. Its hot. Do it in reasonable portions. Purée it smooth. It will be very thick. You can add more stock or start to work in some dairy... half and half, cream, some use cream cheese.

You'll want a reserve bowl that can hold the volume of soup as you empty the processor and purée the next batch. I don't think I've ever done more than three batches. Then return the soup to the stock pot.

Med low heat to warm. At this point I want to season it and add dairy for richness. Salt, pepper, nutmeg, some cayenne or curry. Cut it to the viscosity you want with the stock and/or cream. Extend the recipe to make more by adding some canned pumpkin. Or not.

This is a hearty soup. Its rich. I like it served in smallerish bowls with a warmed, great crusted bread alongside. If using a bigger bowl, don't fill it. Let them go back for more if needed. I like it, but a little goes a long way... and I really prefer to have that warm baguette alongside to dip in and give some texture.

Sprinkle a little nutmeg on the top. Maybe swirl in a little cream for color contrast or give a spoonfull of sour cream. Love the bold orange color against a crisp white dish.

I almost always make this at xmas, along with the celery leek soup, and give people the option of choosing. Its almost always about half and half, though more seem to favor the leek soup.

The most annoying part is probably cutting the squash and cleaning the food processor. You don't have that much prep, it is not something you have to watch constantly, and you can save seasoning mistakes easily.
    Dogs Expert

Aug 5, 2010, 10:38 PM

:::drool::: Thank you! Copy pasted and printed, will let you know when I make it! Sounds absolutely delicious!
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2010, 10:48 PM
    It works. Good ingredients make good food.

It reminds me of a tomato bisque without being tomato. Ish. y. ;)

Good flavor and rich, but you need something to give some structure and different texture... like the bread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade Veggie Dip Recipes [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, All! Hey! Do you have any? Please do share. Vegetable dips are expensive! I love vegetables and putting them into dips! But, the cost of the dip can be a real downer! I have no clue as to how to even begin making a dip! Thanks!

Homemade cat food recipes [ 50 Answers ]

I am going to be adopting a kitty soon. Since I am on a very limited income, I plan to make my own cat food. I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for homemade cat food that are reasonably priced and easy to make. Also, I need to be able to get all the ingredients at a grocery store, since I...

Potato and cabbage soup recipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for 2 dynamite soup recipes Potato soup, and Cabbage soup. I'm not looking for recipes from these cooking shows, where you can't find half the ingredients ( or can't pronounce them) Maybe one of Grandma's old, but delicious recipes

Favorite macaroni and cheese recipes. [ 19 Answers ]

I'm sure some of you saw clough's thread about salads. He mentioned mac n cheese and since then I've been wanting some. :) any one got a good extra cheesey recipe?

How to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is sweet honey bee... I would like to know how to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle. Thanks..

View more questions Search