Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 09:44 PM
    Favorite Homemade Soup Recipes
    Hi, All!

Okay, we're all used to eating things that come packaged in cans. What are some recipes that you like to use for homemade soups, please?

Also, what is the real function for using a soup bone?

Thanks!
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:26 AM

I'm going to love this one:D
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:39 AM

I love just throwing chicken, veggies, and chicken stock together! Maybe adding a little bit of cream to make it creamy... Mmm...

I love soup!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 12:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick View Post
    I love just throwing chicken, veggies, and chicken stock together! Maybe adding a little bit of cream to make it creamy.... Mmm...

I love soup!
    When you mentioned cream, do you mean the kind that can be poured?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Dahlia View Post
    I'm going to love this one:D
    I'm glad for that! :)
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 12:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough View Post
    When you mentioned cream, do you mean the kind that can be poured?
    Sure do... heavy cream. Just a few tablespoons... or, as much as you like! :D It adds a little bit of creaminess to the soup... mmmm
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 12:19 PM
    What's heavy cream? I really don't know...

Consider me clueless!

Thanks!
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 12:27 PM

That's OK! I don't really know how to describe it other than "thicker than half and half"... it adds more creaminess to anything, but you can also use half and half. To me, the creamier the better.

You can buy a half pint carton of heavy cream for very little cash. And, if you don't like it, you're not wasting much.

What is heavy cream?
    Horizon Organic Heavy Whipping Cream, 1 Pint
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 03:29 PM
    I'll check it out, HC! You're adding a new dimension to the variety in what I and others eat! :)
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 10:40 PM
    I'd still appreciate information about the usage of a soup bone...
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 10:49 PM
    Soup bones add flavor and gelatin to the soup... which can provide a "silkier" or "richer" texture

I've a few recipes

Celery leek soup
    Vegetable beef stew
    Butternut squash soup
    Turkey and tortellini soup
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 10:52 PM
    Do soup bones have to have meat or poultry substance on them to be used? Also, what do you mean by "gelatin", please?
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:08 PM
    I do a lot of cooking without measuring and by instinct, so sorry if its vague... not running off recipe cards here...

Celery leek soup
    A couple tablespoons of butter
    2 med to large leeks
    Half a stalk of celery
    A big can of chicken stock
    Several potatoes

So... cut the dark parts off the leeks and discard, split the pale part down the middle and rinse under water to remove any residue/sand. Chop it up. Clean the celery, discard the tops, chop it up also.

Melt the butter over med heat in a dutch oven or medium sized pot. Add the celery and leeks, stirr occasionally. Drink a nice glass of pinot noir. When its softened some... lets say ten minutes or so, next step.

Add a large (64oz? I don't know.) can of chicken broth. I've used homemade stock also, but don't think its needed here. Bring to a simmer and let it go for 20 minutes covered. Ill usually add a few bay leaves. Sometimes ill have added in minced garlic to the celery when it was softening in the butter. Anyway, simmer for 20 minutes.

Then add several small red potatoes or two med russets that have been peeled and diced into bite size pieces. This soup can be served puréed (my preference) or not. If not, use red potatoes. They won't fall apart so much when cooked through. If you are going to purée, it doesn't matter which you use, tho' the russets tend to fall apart more. Also, I suppose I should have mentioned this above, but if you aren't going to purée, you should also think about the celery and leek pieces being cut to bite sizes.

So simmer until the potatoes are done. Maybe another 20 minutes. If you are going to purée, do it in small batches and remember it is hot liquid. Be careful.

You can add more liquid if needed. A little half and half can make it creamier. Salt and pepper is good.

You can change this soup by just changing the amount of components. Hold back some on the potatoes and the celery and leek are more up front in taste. The puréed form seems heartier and is thicker.

I like this soup a lot.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:11 PM
    I'll have to give that soup a try, kp2171!

Sounds like an excellent variety of things in there!
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:12 PM
    Do soup bones have to have meat or poultry substance on them to be used? Also, what do you mean by "gelatin", please?
    It comes from collagen... essentially connective tissue from animals. No plant sources. Many soup bones are just the bones with marrow in the middle, with no meat on the bone, tho' you can cook with meat on the bones.
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 05:15 PM

I use beef bones a lot to make beef stock. You can buy them in the stores or save them from things you have cooked.

I also use ham bones/hocks for soups and beans. (I'm making beans with a big a$$ monster ham bone left over that I froze a couple months ago.) My brothers birthday is today and we always have beans and buns to honor him.:)

I save my chicken/turkey carcasses for stock

I just recently made some fish stock from left over fish bones and shrimp shells. So far only used it for Shrimp bisque, but it was great.

Before I had a pressure cooker/canner... I used to make a vegetable soup with just regular beef broth. I was trying to re-create a soup that I had in Madrid.

Basically...
    Brussel Sprouts
    Green Beans
    Black and Green Olives
    Onions
    A little shredded cabbage
    Beef broth, probably much better with stock or a bone shoved in the pot.
    I think you can add whatever veggie you like, but olives are the key.

This is great with crusty bread and a good red wine.

I love soup also, but don't get much time to make it, for my husband needs more than just soup.:)
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 05:22 PM
    Are you writing about a soup made from fish? If so, I don't think that I've ever had one!

What's your idea of shrimp bisque, please?

Also, happy birthday to your brother! If we were communicating by phone, I would play and sing for him a special Happy Birthday song!
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 06:02 PM
    Are you writing about a soup made from fish? If so, I don't think that I've ever had one!

What's your idea of shrimp bisque, please?

Also, happy birthday to your brother! If we were communicating by phone, I would play and sing for him a special Happy Birthday song!
    Thank you so much for the birthday wish for my Brother, it made me tear up. He is not here at my home, but traveling for his job, which he always does. He always seems to be alone on his Birthday:( his daughter is with us tonight. (she came to visit for spring break) Illinois/California

Shrimp Bisque for me is a thick soup, some times with small chunks... but not quite a stew.

Cioppino is (I believe) called a stew, but really thin.. so I consider it a soup (if I had to pick a name) I have a great recipe for that also, but expensive because of the seafood.

Thanks again for the Birthday wish for Mike, he would love it.:)

I don't have spell check on this spare computer, sorry!
    Uber Member

Mar 31, 2010, 09:06 PM
    If we did communicate with you and/or him by phone, I would be glad to give him a special birthday song!

I will be giving a special one to the wife of Stringer, tomorrow night!
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2010, 10:00 PM
    If we did communicate with you and/or him by phone, I would be glad to give him a special birthday song!

I will be giving a special one to the wife of Stringer, tomorrow night!
    She is a lucky woman.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Homemade Veggie Dip Recipes [ 25 Answers ]

Hi, All! Hey! Do you have any? Please do share. Vegetable dips are expensive! I love vegetables and putting them into dips! But, the cost of the dip can be a real downer! I have no clue as to how to even begin making a dip! Thanks!

Homemade cat food recipes [ 50 Answers ]

I am going to be adopting a kitty soon. Since I am on a very limited income, I plan to make my own cat food. I was wondering if anyone had any recipes for homemade cat food that are reasonably priced and easy to make. Also, I need to be able to get all the ingredients at a grocery store, since I...

Potato and cabbage soup recipes [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for 2 dynamite soup recipes Potato soup, and Cabbage soup. I'm not looking for recipes from these cooking shows, where you can't find half the ingredients ( or can't pronounce them) Maybe one of Grandma's old, but delicious recipes

Favorite macaroni and cheese recipes. [ 19 Answers ]

I'm sure some of you saw clough's thread about salads. He mentioned mac n cheese and since then I've been wanting some. :) any one got a good extra cheesey recipe?

How to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, my name is sweet honey bee... I would like to know how to make a soup base of the vietnam soup noodle. Thanks..

View more questions Search