Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Mar 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
    If I trim my split ends,will my hai grow longer?
    Hi guys!
    When I was growing up,I had long long hair...
    Then I got into university and started to dye my hair...
    In short,I don't know what happened.Not I have crazy dead ends on my hair.My question is... if I cut the split ends,will my hair grow longer and better?For over 3yars now,my hair is the same length!
    I love long hair!
    For 3 years,I have been refusing to cut off my dead ends because I couldn't bear see my hair go down!But the way I see things now... the hair ain't growing either.
    Trim??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Your hair grows at the same pace whether you trim your hair or not. When cutting your hair you are cutting the dead portion of your hair. The live portion of your hair is under your scalp. Cutting/trimming won't make a difference either way.

Apr 25, 2010, 01:07 PM

Now there is a controversy.
    Anyway,I will be able to give first hand answers because I just cut off the hair.I will get back to tell me story
    Bonita-- Posts: 301, Reputation: 17

Apr 25, 2010, 02:12 PM
    Cutting/trimming your hair will make a difference in the way it grows. If you don't cut your hair for three years it will still grow but at a slower rate because of your split ends. If you have a lot of split ends then your hair will keep breaking off at the same point and therefore your hair will not grow properly.

I had the same problem as you, I had long hair but I started dying it/bleaching it and it became very damaged and short. I wanted to grow it but I didn't cut my hair for like three years and it barely grew. I ended up having to cut off about 3 inches because my hair was too damaged after not cutting it for years.

If you want to grow your hair you should trim it every few months and use a hair treatment. I use Moroccan oil for dry and damaged hair, it's to put moisture back into your hair so it's healthier. You can also do hot oil treatments. Also, if you can, try not to dye your hair as often. I do mine every 4-5 months now and it's made a difference.
    MadMadame Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 27, 2010, 02:43 PM
    When you don't cut the dead/broken ends it just help to keep the damage going... Theses breaks will slowly continue up your hair shaft. If your trying to grow your hair longer DO NOT trim it every 6-8 weeks you can go a few months and simply trim the ends.

Apr 28, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadame View Post
    When you dont cut the dead/broken ends it just help to keep the damage going...Theses breaks will slowly continue up your hair shaft. If your trying to grow your hair longer DO NOT trim it every 6-8 weeks you can go a few months and simply trim the ends.
    Okay I get you.Thanks for the advice.
    Tell me,is it the same with virgin hair? I cut off all the part that has relaxer on it.So now,I can say I have virgin hair.Do I have to trim it again?Virgin hair doesn't have split ends,right?
    MadMadame Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 28, 2010, 02:34 PM

You really don't need to trim/cut your ends until you begin to see damage... Most of your split ends should be gone, just let your hair be happy and healthy for a bit :)

Aug 18, 2010, 07:32 PM

Guys... I am back after a while.
    You know its been 4 months since I cut off the part with relaxer from my new growth.I am so so happy I did it.When I took off my braids... my hair was so thick.I washed it ,conditioned and used a dryer to dry it.U had to see how it was!Thick and growing!
    Yes... I am so so convinced that my hair is better without chemicals for now because .When I have it at a real good length,then I will see if I should relax it or not.Will be back later to update

Nov 15, 2010, 06:48 PM

To all who were waiting for feedback...
    I am so so happy to say my hair is doing great!!
    It is very thick! The length is longer than what it was before I cut it!
    It goes in a high pony tail even as I have virgin hair now!
    I just began using Bioinfusion products.As of now,I have kinky braids on.When I take them off,I deep condition my hair and blow dry... then after 2 days,I braid again.
    I am so so excited about this!
    NO RELAXER!!

Mar 21, 2011, 02:20 PM

Am I back or what??
    I am here to give a review on my hair journey.
    All I can say is,there is no way I could have been here if my hair was not trimmed.
    I am so so excited!My hair is thicker and fuller.
    HLBucior Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2011, 06:59 PM
    Cutting your hair will not make it grow any faster but it will keep your split ends from splitting up the hair strand further. So it is a good idea. Also some people can only grow their hair a certin length. Depending on how long your anagen stage is (growth stage).

Link below explains the hair growth cycle.

http://www.hairlosslibrary.com/hair_growth_cycle.html
    pinklips Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 09:34 AM
    I have a question for Violaename I saw on one of your answers you said meladerm helped lighten your lips, did it really help lighten your lips and how long did it take before you saw any! Results? Please help! thank you in advance :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Horrible split ends! [ 3 Answers ]

I have about shoulder length hair and its getting really really bad split ends. I can't cut it or else it will be too short and my hair won't grow back fast enough afterwards to accommodate new split ends. Does anyone know any products or things I can do or use to help. I have to straighten my...

Split ends breaking, freezy hair [ 4 Answers ]

Please help My daugther is 16 years old, she is mixed black and hispanic, she has curly hair, for the last thee years she has been experimenting what to do with her hair. We used relaxer two times, hair color 2 times. She uses the hot flat iron a lot , because it is the only method that works...

Dry hair with split ends. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have dry hair with split ends. How can I treat my hair? What steps can I take to prevent more split ends. Please help.

How can I get my hair to grow longer? [ 2 Answers ]

A little over a year ago I dyed my hair black. My hair was really long then but three or four months after that I went to the salon to get light brown highlights and they cut about an inch or two off because I had splits. They told me since it was summer that my hair would grow really fast and I...

Split ends trimmed [ 2 Answers ]

Should I trim my hair while it is wet or when it is dry

View more questions Search