Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 02:18 PM
    Air embolus
    I have a question, was not sure where to put it.

Say if you are getting blood drawn from a needle, but they were not getting enough blood so they were pushing the needle back in and out until they got my blood.

Is it possible to get a air embolus by having the nurse keep pushing in the syringe to try to pull out more blood. Does this cause air to be pushed in the veins and is it dangerous?
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 03:23 PM

I think what your describing is the tech searching for a vein ( they move an row away from the pressure of the needle) that's done with the barrel on the needle and doesn't introduce any air. Sometimes with small veins the needle can't be push through the vein and need to be pulled back to get good flow. I hope this helps.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 03:29 PM
    It's possible Joe, but very unlikely. The nurse should actually be manipulating the needle, NOT the syringe.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 03:49 PM

Yes it was the syringe, not the needle. It was not for me either.

Okay say if it were to happen J9, How long would it take or would it happen pretty much instantly?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 03:53 PM
    Take into consideration that it takes almost an entire IV tubing line of air to cause an embolis.

Now, it depends on how and where this is. If it's in a vein it's going to take a while as the blood has to circulate. Now, if it's in an artery it would be instantaneous.

Keep in mind that the syringe did not, or should not, have any air in it when the nurse/tech at the beginning of the blood draw.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My central heat and air unit is blowing cold air. The fan cycles on and off but no he [ 3 Answers ]

My central heat and air unit is blowing cold air. The fan cycles on and off but no heat. Really cold today

Heat pump blows cool air,then warm air, then cool air again [ 5 Answers ]

My heat pump comes on, blows cool air, then hot air, then back to cool air again. The unit also runs for days at a time without ever shutting off, thus causing my electric meter to be moving very fast, and running up my electric bill. It has been running now for 42 straight hours. What can...

Air conditioner/furnace combo in mobile home is blowing cold air [ 8 Answers ]

This is an all electric mobile home that has an outside air conditioner with heating system. It is blowing cold air when the heat is turned on at the thermoniter.

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air [ 7 Answers ]

My cold air return blows cool air instead of sucking air

Air cond is blowin air not cool air after power flipped off in storm? [ 4 Answers ]

I tried breakers and that didn't do anything

View more questions Search