Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Gifts in contemplation of marriage
    If a man purchases a (very expensive, by the way) auto for a woman in contemplation of marriage (and pays cash!), auto is titled/registered in both names, they do marry - and then she files for an annulment what, if any, claim does he have on the car?

I don't know what the alleged grounds for the annulment are.

I realize this is a question for an Attorney but does anyone have any idea? I can't find anything on the subject.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 02:12 PM

I found this --

Gifts in Contemplation of Marriage

A gift conditioned on marriage, such as an engagement ring, may be recoverable by the donor under certain circumstances if the marriage does not take place. Under Civil Code section 1590, when a party to an intended marriage receives a premarital gift of money or property from the other party and then refuses to enter into the marriage as contemplated or both parties agree to not marry one another, the party giving the money or property may reclaim it or whatever part of its value the court or a jury finds proper.

But since they did marry, I'm guessing the car is hers free and clear, as property acquired before marriage. (The courts have no authority over non–marital property. Generally speaking, all property acquired by either spouse before the marriage is considered non–marital property.)
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 02:21 PM

What you have to understand is that they did get married. No the important focus would be on why an annulment was chosen. If it were due to deception on her part. Like already married etc then there may be recourse. If not then the car might be lost forever.
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2010, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What you have to understand is that they did get married. No the important focus would be on why an annulment was chosen. If it were due to deception on her part. Like already married etc then there may be recourse. If not then the car might be lost forever.

Here is the devil's advocate part of me - the annulment will (presumably) be granted because for some reason or other (as Wondergirl said) there was an impediment to a legal marriage. Otherwise there would be a divorce.

So - if the annulment means there was no marriage...
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 03:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Here is the devil's advocate part of me - the annulment will (presumably) be granted because for some reason or other (as Wondergirl said) there was an impediment to a legal marriage. Otherwise there would be a divorce.

So - if the annulment means there was no marriage ...
    An annulment doesn't mean a marriage didn't occur. It means that the marriage is invalid. There is a big difference. But like I had said if deceit comes into play then its up for grabs.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 10:32 PM

At leat in my state an annulment means that the marriage legally did not happen. Any taxes filled jointly during the marriage have to be refilled separately because of it being "never happened". But as for the car it was titled in both names then he would at least have an equal share (again in Indiana).
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 07:29 AM

I agree with stina on this one. If the vehicle is registered in both names, it is the legal property of both parties, regardless of marriage or annulment. The vehicle cannot be sold or traded in with only one signature UNLESS the title reads "Mr. John Doe OR Mrs. Jane Doe" - if the title reads AND instead of OR, then it's his vehicle too.
    rw113 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2013, 04:35 PM
    An annulment means no marriage is deemed to have taken place, retroactive to prior to the marriage. Since she is filing for annulment, if the care was conditioned on marriage, the likelihood is Civil Code 1590 would entitle him to a return of his property.

However, there is also a presumption of title - which is likely to take precedence in this situation. Talk to an attorney.
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2013, 04:39 PM
    "An annulment means no marriage is deemed to have taken place, retroactive to prior to the marriage. Since she is filing for annulment, if the care was conditioned on marriage, the likelihood is Civil Code 1590 would entitle him to a return of his property.

However, there is also a presumption of title - which is likely to take precedence in this situation. Talk to an attorney."

I have no idea what "retroactive to/prior to" the marriage means.

How did this work out? The Court decided it was not a gift in contemplation of marriage because, if it were, it would have been in the name of the person gifted, solely.

By the way, the Court decided this in 2010.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 04:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    I found this --
    Gifts in Contemplation of Marriage
    ... Civil Code section 1590, ...
    What state or country, Wondergirl, is it in which section 1590 is the law? It matters a great deal.

Oh. Now I see that it's an old thread. OP probably long since solved his problem, I guess.
    Internet Research Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 05:34 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What state or country, Wondergirl, is it in which section 1590 is the law? It matters a great deal.

Oh. Now I see that it's an old thread. OP probably long since solved his problem, I guess.
    I think she did. Just read the post above yours.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 10, 2013, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cdad View Post
    I think she did. Just read the post above yours.
    Ah, right. Sorry JudyKayTee, "she". :)

Anyway, I tend to agree: an anullment would be the same as if the marriage never took place, in which case if the law in the jurisdiction says the giver gets it back, absent marriage", s/he would get it back (or the half interest given in the case of a jointly titled automobile). So, in other words, the court was wrong.
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2013, 07:26 AM
    To hijack and discuss "wrong decisions" - I was in Court recenty (on another matter) when a Judge threw out checks which had "loan" written on them, no question "loan" was on the checks when they were cashed, not added later.

The ruling was that they were uncollectible because "loan" doesn't state terms. "Apparently" in NY "you" would have to write "$5,000, $250 [or whatever] per month on the 15th of each month until paid."

I've never seen that before!

So, yes, there are screwy rulings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

In lieu of gifts [ 22 Answers ]

My son is turning 1 in a few weeks and I'm planning on having a small gathering here at my house. Of course at this age, he's not aware of it being his birthday so I'm keeping the celebration small (only 10-15 family/close friends). I'm not planning a huge party or anything; just a cake and...

How often do you buy your gf/bf gifts? [ 5 Answers ]

I've always been the type who enjoys giving... it's always been this way, even when I was a kid, with my family. I also enjoy getting my girlfriend gifts (I don't count paying for meals)... rarely expensive. I'm wondering what the norm is for how often people do this for their girlfriend or...

Gifts from above [ 8 Answers ]

Being able to hear and see in Spirit while awake or in prayer, could this be a gift , and what kind of gift would it be?:D also sometimes when meeting people I can feel their different pains in their life. And I don't even know them, what kind of gift could this be. Also sometimes knowing what...

Registering for gifts [ 1 Answers ]

I am beginning to plan my wedding, and have purchased a wedding book. When it comes to registering for gifts, how do you go about telling your guests where you have registered? I feel awkward doing this. Any help would be awesome :p

Wedding Gifts- Money vs gifts [ 2 Answers ]

Our grandson is getting married. The brides family is very wealthy while we are of meager income. Is it proper to give a modest gift of money or more proper to give a gift?

View more questions Search