Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:15 AM
    Quotation marks and periods
    How do you figure out where to put the period when the quotes are at the end of your sentence? In the paper I'm writing I'm trying to write this sentence:
    In American society, “faster” has become nearly interchangeable with “better”.

Do I have the period in the right spot? Or should it be between the "r" and the quotes? Does anyone know of an online reference?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 11:37 AM

From Wikipedia

Punctuation

With regard to quotation marks adjacent to periods and commas, there are two styles of punctuation in widespread use. While these two styles are most commonly referred to as “American” and “British” respectively (and some style sheets provide no other name), some American writers and organizations use the “British” style and vice versa. Both systems have the same rules regarding question marks, exclamation points, colons and semicolons. They differ on the treatment of periods and commas.

In the U.S. the standard style is called American style, typesetters' rules, printers' rules, typographical usage, or traditional punctuation, whereby commas and periods are almost always placed inside closing quotation marks.[10] This style of punctuation is common in the U.S. Canada, and in the U.K. in fiction and journalism.[11]

The other standard style—called British style or logical punctuation[12]—is to include within quotation marks only those punctuation marks that appeared in the quoted material, but otherwise to place punctuation outside the closing quotation marks. According to The Chicago Manual of Style, this system requires extreme authorial precision and occasional decisions by editors.[13]
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:41 AM

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where to place punctuation - inside or outside quotation marks [ 13 Answers ]

In the sentence: When meeting someone, you should say, "Nice to meet you" Where do I put the period, inside or outside the end quotation marks? Same with a comma, where do I place the punctuation after a quote - like: When someone says, "Nice to meet you" you should reply with the same.

Quotation letter [ 4 Answers ]

Hao can I give a quotation to my buyer?

How do I write a quotation? [ 3 Answers ]

Sample for business quotation

Stock quotation [ 1 Answers ]

The last column in a stock quotation in the newspapers shows the net change between what?

View more questions Search