Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    etch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Maximum distance from tub to trap
    In order to provide a convenient place to locate a drum trap for a bathtub, and in order to meet the 5' minimum distance requirement (from trap to vent), I will need to place this trap about 6' from the actual tub drain. Is this acceptable, or is there also a maximum distance requirement that must be met from drain to trap?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

in order to provide a convenient place to locate a drum trap for a bathtub
    Why in the world would you wish to install a trap that's mot only out of code (Section 702.4/ Drum Traps/Standard Plumbing Code) but can't be snaked and that I haven't seen installed since the 40's?
    You better have a good reason because in the area that the Standard Plumbing Code covers you have to get special permission from the Building Department before installing.
    What's the reason you can't use a "P" trap? Back to you, Tom
    etch Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 03:15 PM

Oh, thanks tom! I should have been asking (2) questions. You answered one. How 'bout the original question? (swap out "drum trap" with "p-trap")
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 29, 2010, 04:27 PM

how 'bout the original question? (swap out "drum trap" with "p-trap")
    Not found in The Plumbing Page. Our records show only these two posts by you. Pleas ask again. Regards, Tom
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 05:25 PM

I would like to add: if you really have situation where you have 6' distance from 2" tub trap to the vent - I would just plumb it. I you feel like you still want to maintain those required 5' - than move the vent connection "T" one foot closer to the tub. Problem solved...
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2010, 06:14 AM

To answer your question, In Milos area, (UPC Code)the distance's 5 feet for a 2" drain line. However in My area, (SPC) and (IPC) codes the distence's 6 feet. Ity's OK to go ahead and plumb it but I still wanna know why a "P" trap couldn't be used. Regards, Tom
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 30, 2010, 02:48 PM

Sounds to me like he wants to use a vent 11' from the tub. Is this a new install or a replacement?
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 30, 2010, 04:50 PM

I'm with Milo,
    Just plumb it!
    how 'bout the original question? (swap out "drum trap" with "p-trap")
    Yeah! How about that? I'm still waiting for the question. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Double trap OK? Rough in piping + tub trap [ 10 Answers ]

The way the 2" rough in went we ended up with a trap of sorts then a pipe to where the tub trap will be. Not completed yet. Just wondering if a tub trap and a trap made with the rough in piping will cause some sort of problem. The rough in trap was made off a 4x4x2 wye. Would that be adequate...

Maximum distance between electrical outlets [ 1 Answers ]

WHat is the maximum distance between electrical outlets in Ontario

What is the maximum distance between earth and jupiter [ 4 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me what the maximum distance is between earth and jupiter? I have looked online and the answers seem to range from 816 million km to 968 million km. Cheers Anna

Maximum vertical fall distance shower drain to p-trap below it. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the maximum vertical fall distance between the shower drain and the 2 inch trap just below it? :)

Maximum distance from sink to p trap [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, What should the maximum distance be from the bottom of the sink to the p trap. If I stay within this distance is there any problem installing a p trap below floor level? I want to do this because of space limitations when installing a pedestal type sink. Thanks, Tom

View more questions Search