Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Primmrose Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2010, 03:18 AM
    Young marriage
    I am very confused and seeking addvice on this subject. My boyfriend and I have been dating now for 4 years, and are wanting to get married before we go to college together. We are both 18. Is this to early? We are both stable, and set in the idea of who we are. We both have also been told many times how mature we are, especially as a couple. Thank you for any help
    posey_84 Posts: 202, Reputation: 15

Mar 29, 2010, 04:36 AM

I think its completley up to the both of you. You're both adults and old enough to make your own decisions. However I would say this... you say your confused about it. If you truly knew what you wanted and were ready to get married then there would be no confusion. You would just know it was right. Also if you're both so happy together and sure of yourseves then why rush it? Wait until you finish college and have both experienced a bit more and grown a bit more. A lot of changes happen between 18 and your mid 20's you both could grow apart but if your strong as a couple and make it through then what's another couple of years?? Xx
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 04:43 AM

I think you should wait a while longer to marry.

I am not saying that you can't make a marriage work right now. Just that college brings a lot of changes-more freedoms, stresses, responsibilities and opportunities. For some couples, those changes cause problems in the relationship. Problems that can tear even the most committed couple apart.

At 18, you are legal adults. However, you haven't finished growing into the 'adults' you are going to be. When you get to college, you may find that you are very different than the people you think you are right now. People who may not want the same things as you do now.
    hollylovesbrandon Posts: 633, Reputation: 78

Apr 2, 2010, 09:01 AM

I say go for whatever is in your heart. But think about this, if you truly were ready on all levels and wanted this more than anything, then why would you be posting on here to advice from complete strangers?
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Apr 2, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Because you're asking us whether it's too early to marry, it's too early to marry. You'll know when you're ready.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 09:23 AM

What can a year or two, mean when you have a lifetime? Things are different once you get into the real adult world from high school, so be smart, and see what happens before you rush into a lifetime thing. No hurry, do it right, and take your time.
    steve32200444 Posts: 14, Reputation: 2

Apr 3, 2010, 10:51 AM

I got married at a young age, thought I was mature enough, thought it was time to get married. All I can tell you is what I now tell my 17 to 21 yr old kids, Life goes on long after you are 18, you may think now you are mature, but if I had it to do over again I'd have waited until I was around 30 to get married
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Apr 3, 2010, 01:38 PM

I'm part of the choir, here. Dating throughout high school is beautiful, so let me suggest a long engagement and set the date for, say, your Junior year homecoming? You'll have done most of the "growing" the others have talked about and you'll still have the commitment to each other to see you through the changes that that "growing" brings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Young marriage [ 5 Answers ]

IS 20 to young to get married , when we both have the same and or similar goals in life, My boyfriend and I have completely fallen in love , he is 22 and I am 20 we have the same goals and ambitions in life , education is a big part of our life because we want to make a good life for us. We share...

Young marriage? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello. I have seen this question on here a few times, so Im sorry about this, but I just need some advice. Im stressing out... okay... Im 19 years old, in University, pursuing a goal... my fiancé is 25 years old, finishing his grade 12 then going to college. He has a criminal record, and has just...

Marriage and young [ 7 Answers ]

Is it okay to marry my boyfriend who is 18 and I am 22.

Am I too young for marriage? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm 18 years old and I'm going out with my boyfriend who is 32 for the last year I love him wit all my heart and id love to marry him sooner rather than later we have a very strong relationship and he tells me often how much he loves me and how he knows we will get married,is it wrong to thirst for...

Is 20 too young for Marriage? [ 30 Answers ]

I've been going out with my girlfriend for about 3 months, and we're pretty serious. I know it's cliché, but I've never felt this way about a girl before, and she's said the same to me. We both said 'those three words' to each other about a month in, and now we're talking about marriage and...

View more questions Search