Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DLRR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 06:08 PM
    My baby has unilateral Hearing loss and I don't know whether she should have a
    My baby was born with severe to profound hearing loss in one ear. The other ear is normal. It seems that exeperts are divided on the use of hearung aids for SDD (single sided deafness) and I'm forced to make a decision which I simply cannot yet make, if there are any people who have either had to decide for their babies with SDD or if you yourself suffer from such hearing loss, I would love to know your view. Also welcome, are opinions from doctors in this field. Thank you
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 28, 2010, 06:43 PM

Why not wait until she's older and see if the hearing loss is effecting her everyday life? Besides, at this point in her life (assuming she's under the age of 3), she's growing at a rate that you'd probably have to get a new hearing aid every couple months because the old ones would become too small.

It'll be just as easy to get her a hearing aid in a few years as it will be to get one now. Technology may even advance to the point where you'll be able to get one that's nearly invisible. As I'm sure you're aware, kids can be cruel and pick on someone they see as different.

Since she does have hearing in the other ear, waiting won't be detrimental. She'll still be able to communicate and function like any other child. There just may be times when she, honestly, won't hear what you're telling her to do.
    DLRR Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 26, 2010, 01:20 PM
    Thanks. But the experts are saying that if you don't fit the aid at an early stage (i.e. now) the hearing deteriorates to the point where the aid can no longer help. Do you have different evidence?
    hilarigh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
    DLRR - what did you decide to do? My 2-month old son received the same diagnosis today. We too are weighing our options and leaning toward getting him the hearing aid now in order to side step any language development delays. What other information have you found out?
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jul 9, 2010, 01:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DLRR View Post
    thanks. but the experts are saying that if you dont fit the aid at an early stage (i.e. now) the hearing deteriorates to the point where the aid can no longer help. do you have different evidence?
    I am not sure if the experts really did say that. Get one thing clear. Fitting a hearing aid is not going to have ANY EFFECT ON THE Status of the ear. It will not worsen if you do not wear one and it will not improve or keep it status quo if you wear one.

Ones hearing improves with a hearing aid because it acts like a sophisticated amplifier and amplifies the sound for the ear whose perception is deficient.

One good ear is sufficient for normal hearing and proper speech development.

If one ear of you child is absolutely normal avoid any hearing aid and get a regular hearing test to see whether the better ear is remaining so.
    ejclifford06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2010, 09:36 AM
    My son has had a similar diagnosis to this he is three months old and we have decided that the hearing aids are the best way to go he might learn and develop properly but I am not willing to take the risk of waiting and it effect his speech the first years are crucial to development hope this helps
    supriya _82 Posts: 241, Reputation: 24

Jul 20, 2010, 10:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ejclifford06 View Post
    my son has had a similar diagnosis to this he is three months old and we have decided that the hearing aids are the best way to go he might learn and develop properly but i am not willing to take the risk of waiting and it effect his speech the first years are crucial to development hope this helps
    Well we are talking about a child who has a PERFECTLY NORMAL hearing in one ear. One must remember that hearing aid is a machine, it can Never mimic the normal hearing ear.
    In a scenario where one ear is absolutely normal and the other fitted with a hearing aid, the sound perception will be a little distorted as the sound quality form the aid and that from the normal hearing will ever so slightly be different. And this is too with an extremely sophisticated (expensive) aid.
    Also ironically if the difference in both ears is substantial, the aid will have to be even more powerful leading to an enhanced difference in the input via the two ears.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hearing loss [ 5 Answers ]

I was tested for hearing loss and told that a hearing aid wouldn't help . My wife at times is my ears as people pass and she will tell me they spoke to me. I turn the TV or radio up and it seems normal to me but my wife tells me it's way to loud. Someone says something to me and I give them a...

Hearing Loss [ 1 Answers ]

Every time I have a cold -I have a hearing loss due to blockage in both years and it takes at least a week to restore hearing after using antibiotics .This does not seem to happen with everybody who has a cold .Any preventive treatment ? -need an advise badly since I am a teacher and cannot work...

Hearing loss [ 2 Answers ]

I blew my nose really hard and my ear popped,the next day it hurt and I have had a little loss of hearing in than ear too. The pain is gone but I still have a little loss of hearing in that ear. What should I do.

Hearing Loss [ 1 Answers ]

From my right ear cotinuous whispering sound come.I have undergone tympanoplastic surgery of both ears.But I don't get relief .wat I do now?can anyone suggest me.

View more questions Search