Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leavemealone4017 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 02:06 AM
    Are there laws credit card companies must follow...
    Regarding an account going to collections?

My Ex-fiance owed the total bill on my Sears account. He was supposed to notify me if he couldn't make the payments so that I could. Needless to say, he stopped making them or wasn't even covering any late payment fees and I was never notified of what was going on until a collection agency called me. I took out a loan from my credit union (who told me he had made my credit score drop over 100 points) and paid it off, but the damage was done.

My question is this: Shouldn't I have been made aware of what was happening on this account BEFORE it got to the collection stage? A 60 days late on my credit report would STILL look better than a 120 days late, true?

Thank you for your time.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 08:26 AM
    Can I assume you were a co-signer on the account,?

They would have notified the main lender, who is suppose to tell you.

So no they don't notify the co-lender not until it is late

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Writing Humor for Greeting card companies [ 3 Answers ]

I just want to know how greeting card companies judge verse submissions from freelance writers before they accept any writing idea submitted. Is there any formula for writing acceptable humor for all the greeting card companies out there.

Which Credit Card companies only pull TransUnion for applications [ 2 Answers ]

I have a great TransUnion score and want to apply for a good card that only pulls and consults with TransUnion credit services for new card applications.

Credit Card companies seizing a house [ 5 Answers ]

My friend and I were arguing as to whether c.c comps can seize your home for unpaid debts. Even if your house is worth more than the debt. My friend used an example of a home worth $300,000 and a cc debt of $4000. I think that because your mortgage is a secured loan by the bank the cc comp wouldn't...

Can credit card companies put a lien on my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I live in Broward county, Florida, I defaulted in three unsecured business loans and two unsecured business credit cards all are guaranteed personally by me, now that the business has failed and the S corporation is dissolved, can these creditors go after me and put a lien on my...

Best way to negotiate rates w/ credit card companies? [ 4 Answers ]

A family member is loaning me $20K to pay off part of my $33K credit card debt. The loan will enable me to pay off the balances in full on two of the highest-interest rate cards, and part of the next highest-rate card. I'd love to just call the bastards up & close the accounts as soon as the...

View more questions Search