Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nousername Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 09:33 PM
    97 mercury villager car alarm
    Hello:

I'm trying to disable the car alarm for a 97 mercury villager. I can not lock the door, because when I try to unlock it with the key the alarm always goes off. The only way I can silence the alarm is to unhook the battery. This resets the radio and everything else and is annoying. So I'm ready to just try to disable the alarm all together.

I have attempted to unhook the wires from around the door lock cylinder and the latch assembly. Yet for some reason when I open the door with the key, it still sets off the alarm. I don't understand... if you completley remove the lock from all electrical circuits, what in the world could be setting this thing off?

I don't mind if I have to lock all the doors manually, I just want to be able to lock the doors without worrying about the alarm going off for no reason.

I don't have the clicker.
    moon_shadow Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2012, 04:24 PM
    Hello,
    I am the original author of this question. It is now almost two years later, and after much mangling and rigging around with wires and what not I have finally found a solution that seems to work for me.

My ignition switch is broken to the point where you can remove the key while the switch is on, the van has been this way since I had it. My solution involved simply leaving the switch in "Accesory" mode (not on all the way, but the radio and the cigarette lighter stay on). I remove the key and then lock the door. The alarm never "arms" because it thinks the switch is always on. I must remember to manually turn off the radio otherwise it may run the battery down.

I have tried this for a week, and on cold mornings it does not seem to be pulling the battery down at all, so I'm content to continue with this practice. The only dissadvantage is that should someone break in the car, they can techincally steal it without needing a key. However one must weigh the difference, where as before I couldn't even lock the car at all. At least now the car can be locked. Also bear in mind I do not live in an area where stealing a car is a big problem, not as big as someone just opening an unlocked car door.
    pvtJD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2016, 08:49 AM
    Hey THANKS!

I have some what the almost the same situation that you had to require the alarm to be disabled.

Someone broke into my van a few years ago under another owner, and messed up the steering lock and at the same time messed with the alarm.

So now... the wind will blow a gust and off goes the alarm, with on human or animal in site.
    So I have to do that workaround that you so kindly shared (even after two years, wow.)

I am also working on this van putting a bed in the back and the 4 lights that I didn't get pulled out, run the battery down in a few hours. Since I'm working in the DAYTIME I, which has NO reasoning, or LOGIC what so ever, why interior light in the DAYTIME. Hummm the only real concept to have interior lights go ON in the DAYTIME is to sell more bulbs, fuses, batteries, battery chargers, etc PLUS the manufactures make more money ($$$$) for installation of that item.

So I'll try your workaround about leaving in "accessory" mode and also TRY to pull the fuses to get rid of the USLESS Daytime interior lighting.

Again THANKS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1996 Mercury Villager Engine Knock [ 2 Answers ]

Need some advise, I have a 1996 Mercury Villager with a 3.0L engine that has 128K miles on it that has been very well maintained over the last 10 years or so that we have owned it always have the oil changed and any other repairs that were needed. Last summer we had an oil leak that we took in for...

Rought idle at start - 97 mercury villager [ 1 Answers ]

Hello friends, We have a 97 mercury villager van, and my wife has been complaining of a rough idle when the van first starts. Irratic RPM's, it would come close to stall, then rev itself past 1000 RPM, then back down. When I get in the van, it seems to run fine. However the check engine light...

Mercury Villager power steering [ 2 Answers ]

I've heard that Amsoil ATF can be used in a power steering system. Is there any problem with mixing the Amsoil with what's already in the system? I need to change the fluid, but don't want to do the full flush procedure. I'm considering the turkey baster way of doing it - emptying the reservoir...

Mercury Villager power window [ 3 Answers ]

I have a '94 Villager and the driver's side power window died. It seems like the switch is active - the rpm needle dips slightly when I push one of the buttons. There is absolutely no action from the motor. The passenger side window is fine as well as both of the rear 'wing' windows. Any ideas...

Whining noise when 98 Mercury villager starts [ 1 Answers ]

I sometimes get a brief shrill whining noise when starting my 1998 Mercury Villager. What should I do? It just started a couple months ago. The car seems to be running fine otherwise.

View more questions Search