Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 1, 2010, 04:17 AM
    Don, forget working on the incoming utility lines live.

PPE Arc blast suit, flash face shield, 1000 Volt rated gloves, approximate cost about $500.00.

POCO will need to de-energize the incoming lines.

Ever find the Main Disconnect outside?

With good scheduling, of course, you need to have enough manpower to get the work done, POCO can pull the feeders from transfomer, change meter and panel, have inspector show up when you speculate the service will be ready for inspection, to include grounding, call in relaese to POCO, and they show up later in the day to re-energize.

That is exactly the sequence of events when we change a service here in Maine.

Once the service is re-energized, you can then start the process of re-connecting the branch circuits.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Apr 1, 2010, 05:30 AM

Don

I think the procedure is, at least it use to be.

Pull permit.

Obtain new meter base. Dominion Power use to provide it but I don't know they still do.

Call Dominion Power to cut seal. They may give you permission.

Pull meter, hide behind bush.

Mount new meter base along side old one.

Remove service entrance cable from old breaker box.

Run new service entrance cable from new meter to new breaker box.

Run old service entrance cable (still connected to old meter base) to new meter base.

Put jumper across new meter socket terminals.

Plug meter back into old meter base to re-energies.

Call for inspection.

Inspector calls Dominion Power

Only problem is, you are unlikely to have tool to clamp cables to new 200 amp meter base.

That's the way it use to be done, at least around here. Its been a long time. Nothing stays the same forever.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 2, 2010, 05:41 PM
    TK _ Hank,

Thanks for the process to follow. I will be doing the work under a spousal edict.

I will be allowed to shut the panel down and check sections 2 and 3 for loose connections.

However, if I decide to swap the panel, then I must give Bonnie adequate time to raise my Life Insurance Death Benefit. Also, the only way I can do the actual work would be to use a small child's wadding pool full with current conducting gel and an earth ground between the gel and the earth ground. No safety equipment will be allowed and the circuits must not be disconnected. Hm, I sense a pattern here.

Or, I can get a licensed electrician to swap the panel!

I think she doesn't trust my skill level!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Apr 2, 2010, 07:04 PM

Don:

Did you do something wrong? Have a chuckle.
    Attached Images

donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Apr 11, 2010, 11:50 AM

Well I'll be darned!

I finally got the panel sections 2 and 3 opened and explored.

There are no pass through lugs. Instead the wires from the Breaker on the left side (I'll call "A") run from the breaker to the underside of section 3's plate ans are braised or spot welded to the plate. A2 - to the left side and A1 to the right side.

Breakers "B" conductor runs B2 to the left side and B1 right side on the center section.

I also have pictures:
    Attached Images

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2010, 12:40 PM

Was currious how they attached to the buss. I see the Aluminum.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Internet explorer status bar shows "waiting for." message, page doesn't load [ 9 Answers ]

This has been happening for some time, it seems to fix itself but it pops up just when I need to find something on the web, for example. Basically, I start my Internet Explorer, it shows in the address bar my homepage, and my status bar immediately show up the "waiting for" message.sometimes, it...

Toilet 9" center on slab going to 12" center - HOW [ 4 Answers ]

I took out an American Standard toilet with a 9 inch from the wall center. I want to install A 12 inch from the wall Toto water saving toilet. I am working on a slab (no basement). Is there an adaptor I can use? If so do I have to raise the toilet to make room for the adapter? OR is there...

Maytag Top Load "Walking" Washer [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We have a Maytag Performa top load wash about 4 yrs old Model PAV2300AWW that wants to walk out of the house even with very light loads. Have looked but nothing seems obviously wrong but surfing the internet suggests that this might be a common problem. Intend to approach Maytag for a free...

How to "cap off" electrical outlet in center of yard [ 3 Answers ]

I have an old floodlight sitting in the center of my front yard that used to light a flagpole. We had to take it down due to corrosion, and now, we don't have a clue on how to get rid of the floodlight. Please assist, and thanks in advance :)

View more questions Search