Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lea_09 Posts: 100, Reputation: 10

Mar 27, 2010, 12:04 PM
    Is Rape Culture a new 'sex' culture?
    I currently am writing a short summary response to an article and found this one to be the most crazy one ever. On college campuses rapes occur to be about 60-80 percent in occurrence. Only aobut 8-6% have been reported. Where is this all happening? In high risk fraternities, high risk as in risk for a woman getting raped, because of how big the party is and how loud the music is. Since the music is so loud people can't socialize and really get a chance to know each other. The frat boys and other boys will wait until the girls get drunk to have sex with them. It is actually illegal to have sex with a woman while she is drunk. The crazy thing is that this rape culture is accepted. So the rapes are not reported. The man is always right. And it isn't considered rape. And the girls sometimes support this double standard (whoa!) and what causes this acceptance of this type of culture? It's deviant and wrong on so many levels.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 01:11 PM

In today's times there are a whole new set of craziness going on. But your right about having consent. When a person reachs a certain alchihol content in the blood they can no longer consent. In some cases they may even be so out of it they have no clue. Many fear reporting it because of how it sounds and the "shame" associated with it. It's a sad note for today's society.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 01:58 PM

I don't understand why the women would accept this double standard. Is it because they feel like it's their fault because they got drunk and THEN MAYBE consented? If that's the case then maybe they do feel ashamed, but even still, if they didn't want it, it's rape and they should report it. It's definitely not okay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 04:08 PM

First I would challenge the numbers that it is that high a percentage, having worked on a college campus previously.

But for the ones that happen, far too often it is drinking involved.

Mar 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    I dont' understand why the women would accept this double standard. Is it because they feel like it's their fault because they got drunk and THEN MAYBE consented? If that's the case then maybe they do feel ashamed, but even still, if they didn't want it, it's rape and they should report it. It's definitely not okay.
    The study was done at ONE college campus and probably ones with high end 'hills' (Frats) and these hills have brothers in high risk and low risk. Depends what member they are in. The reason why girls would support the double standard because at high risk parties the girls are the one whol are doing the name calling and pushing. The whole high risk frat is because the point of it is to degrade women. Have you seen the movie Sorority Girls? Well it is something like that. If a brother sleeps with an uknown girl the boys will make her take the walk of shame the next day. So they basically stand at the windows and call her a slut and tell her to have fun walking home. Guys find themselves called 'studs' and girls are found to be 'sluts'. They compared these frat parties to also bars and house parties. They do have some of the same behaviors of a high risk party. I mean how can you stop the degrading of women? Even though I sound femenist.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 04:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lea_09 View Post
    The study was done at ONE college campus and probably ones with high end 'hills' (Frats) and these hills have brothers in high risk and low risk. Depends what member they are in. The reason why girls would support the double standard because at high risk parties the girls are the one whol are doing the name calling and pushing. The whole high risk frat is because the point of it is to degrade women. Have you seen the movie Sorority Girls? Well it is something like that. If a brother sleeps with an uknown girl the boys will make her take the walk of shame the next day. So they basically stand at the windows and call her a slut and tell her to have fun walking home. Guys find themselves called 'studs' and girls are found to be 'sluts'. They compared these frat parties to also bars and house parties. They do have some of the same behaviors of a high risk party. I mean how can you stop the degrading of women? Even though I sound femenist.
    I still don't understand why they would accept it.

I think that one very clear way to stop the degrading of women, is for some of these women to stop the risky behaviors that degrade them in the first place including: High risk sex, drinking until they pass out, behaving like a "slut" by being too available. Any number of the things that they choose TO do or choose not to do can degrade them just as much as if someone else had done it, if not more.

And I see the double standard because for some reason it's okay for these men to take part in these high-risk behaviors, and they're considered "manly" for it, but no real man would treat another person like that and feel good about themselves. I am curious to see what things would be like if these roles were reversed.

Mar 27, 2010, 04:50 PM

Actually the roles would never be reversed. High risk parties have more faceless victims. The brothers will condone each other for it. I mean have you even noticed that that at a high risk frat the brothers usually don't have girlfriends! The brothers would pressure them to hook up and if they have a girlfriend they can't talk about their sexual ventures... Sometimes I hate guys... But when they do have girlfriends they don't hook up with her in the first night. They do respect her and try to have a relationship with her.
    Ultra Member

Mar 27, 2010, 05:19 PM

I know the roles would never reversed, but if they were I'd be curious to see how things would turn out.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 05:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lea_09 View Post
    Actually the roles would never be reversed. High risk parties have more faceless victims. The brothers will condone each other for it. I mean have you even noticed that that at a high risk frat the brothers usually don't have girlfriends! The brothers would pressure them to hook up and if they have a girlfriend they can't talk about their sexual ventures...Sometimes I hate guys...But when they do have girlfriends they don't hook up with her in the first night. They do respect her and try to have a relationship with her.
    I think what your forgeting in all this is that a lot of women are stuck in this girls gone wild BS and they just don't realize what they are inviting themselves into. Im not condoning it in any way. Im just saying it seems this new liberation is going fast downhill in a handbasket.

Mar 28, 2010, 09:50 AM

So you're saying that all woment are pressured into being a girl gone wild? I mean the boys that do that filming do come to colleges (unfortunately they aren't suppose to and they are going to come to the University I am transferring to in the fall once a year). I mean we are sexual beings, but sometimes we are being exploited whether we know it or not
    NomNomNoodles Posts: 33, Reputation: 9

Mar 28, 2010, 11:06 AM

Not sure if the current debate has much to do with the actual question...

I don't think that the rape culture you're describing is new though. The whole act of rape and the degrading of women have been pretty much prevalent throughout western history although there are times when these things were kept relatively quiet.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 28, 2010, 11:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NomNomNoodles View Post
    Not sure if the current debate has much to do with the actual question....

I don't think that the rape culture you're describing is new though. The whole act of rape and the degrading of women have been pretty much prevalent throughout western history although there are times when these things were kept relatively quiet.
    It has been going on since the beginning of human existence!

Rape is primarily a power (not sexual) thing. Now, how does that impact on lea's analysis?
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2010, 10:49 AM

Rape is never right, what ever the circumstances.

Until someone speaks out about this, it will continue.

It begs the question; why do the girls still go to these parties, when it's perfectly clear how their evening will end? They are perfectly aware of the situation... booze, rape etc...

Perhaps it's all about street cred...
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

May 5, 2010, 09:43 AM

I have to agree with much of what has been said. There is a high pressure society and a double standard. Girls who have a lot of sex are whores, while men are "studs." I know of a guy who would hook up with a different girl every night if he could, but right now he is dating a rather "liberal" girl and refuses to have sex with her because she isn't afraid to go out and get it whenever she wants.

This generation is so screwed up that there are no longer lines clearly written. If a girl has had a few drinks, and wants to get revenge on an ex, she may go and do something she regrets. Then in the morning if she decides she was stupid then she can call it rape. On the other hand there are guys who go out there and help the girl get as many drinks in her as she can handle, and then take her someplace private. She may not even know what she is doing, or remember it in the morning.

Furthermore, you have this society where people think its all okay. They go out, drink till they vomit, have sex, wake up feeling awful and call it a good time.

I don't mean to be sexist here, but there are also many girls out there just acting like they're ready for it any time. It is usually for control reasons. You will have a pretty girl that dresses a little promiscuous and a lot of flirt going on. Then she uses this to get to a guy. Sometimes she is just seeking attention, I've seen where girls act like this to have their homework done for them. Then they just take off. Then something happens, and it is completely unexpected. This by no means makes it right. Any guy that would take advantage of that is still at fault. What I am trying to say here is that it seems hard to draw the line these days. Everybody (Male and Female) is taking behavioral norms to an extreme, and expecting things not to change.

Sorry if I seem offensive, I really can't find a better way to explain it. I don't mean for it to come off that way.
    earl237 Posts: 532, Reputation: 57

Jun 27, 2010, 03:15 PM

Rape is a serious problem, but another serious problem that doesn't get enough attention is men being falsely accused of rape which can destroy lives, yet the media and legal system doesn't seem to care about wrongfully accused men.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ideal culture vs. Real culture [ 5 Answers ]

How does ideal culture differ from real culture in U.S. society from other countries?

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counter culture in referen [ 1 Answers ]

What do you understand by the terms mainstream culture and counterculture in reference to the 1960s, was there one counter culture or were there may different counter cultures, what were the characteristics of the counter movements, was there a straightforward distinction between mainstream culture...

Culture [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know about British Culture.

Culture [ 1 Answers ]

Tell me, 1.What is Friendship Day? 2. When people celebrate this? 3. What is the history of friendship day?

View more questions Search