Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
    Brake Fluid Has Been Getting Lower in the Fluid Cylinder. Is Failure Imminent?
    Hi, All!

I was told by someone, who is not a mechanic by trade, that my brake fluid was getting lower in the fluid cylinder and that I needed a brake job.

There don't appear to be any leaks, my brakes seem to work fine and there are no noises.

He made it seem like brake failure was imminent. Could that be true, please?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 07:17 PM

Brake fluid will not evaporate.
    Brake fluid will absorb water.

If brake fluid is missing, you have a leak or someone removed some, so you have a leak.

Leaks can occur in the master cylinder or at the hydraulics at the wheels. If you park your car up or down a hill normally, the lowest end will be the likely failure.

Don't know if you have discs or drums.

You must do a physical brake inspection.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 07:37 PM
    What about the pads and shoes wearing down? Doesn't that happening cause the brake fluid to go down in the cylinder?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 08:24 PM

It would go down some. A brake fluid level range should be on the master cylinder resovour.

Actually what I do is get some history of the last brake interval and use near that same mileage to do an inspection. Without any history, I'd be doing one at 25,000K miles.

It's also a good idea to flush the brake fluid every 3 years.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2010, 10:11 AM

It's best to completely change the brake fluid every two years. Besides eliminating air and moisture, it replenishes the anti-corrosion properties of the fluid. Corrosion often causes leaks, by damaging the seals.
    squibnic Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2010, 02:02 PM

As brake pads and shoes wear, the fluid in the reservoir will transfer to the calipers and or wheel cylinders, this is normal, if there are no leaks, (some leaks are no obvious) this is probably an indicator that the pads and/or shoes are wearing thin,oh, and complete replacement of fluid is always a good idea, I change mine every time I do the brakes,
    This is only my thoughts on this issue

Squib
    tomdel45 Posts: 45, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2011, 05:47 AM
    When your brake pads get worn the brake fliud seems to be missing. That's not true. It just mean that the cylinder is being push out more and causeing to use more fluid. Get someone to check your pads even if you thing your brakes are fine and you don't hear any noise. Don't wait to hear noise .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake fluid leak- is it the master cylinder? [ 7 Answers ]

First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am...

Brake fluid leak- master cylinder or caliper? [ 1 Answers ]

First, my Honda Accord is a 1987 and has seen about 300,000 miles. It is slowly leaking break fluid, because about every two weeks the brake light comes on and I have to put in more fluid. I have looked at it, and the front right caliper is damp with brake fluid so I am replacing that caliper. I am...

Losing brake fluid [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1982 Ford F-100 pickup, I am losing brake fluid. Over the past year I have replaced front disc pads, new hoses, rear wheel cylinders, and re-built master cylinder. The front reservoir of the master cylinder constantly goes down. And the master cylinder body is usually wet almost like the...

Brake fluid loss [ 9 Answers ]

My 1993 Honda Civic requires topping up of the brake fluid every 3 months due to the light coming on. There are no leaks in the master cylinder and no leaks at the brake pads (I checked all 4 wheels). There is also no dripping of brake fluid in my driveway. This has been happening for 2...

View more questions Search