Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    truckdriver123 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
    After my puppy is fixed, will she still be playfull?
    I need to have my little 3 pound chiwawa fixed. I am afraid that after, she won't be as fun and energetic. Will she still play and be a ball of energy?

Mar 26, 2010, 04:02 PM
    After my puppy is fixed, will she still be playfull?
    I need to have my puppy fixed but I am afraid that she won't be as fun. Will she not have energy to play?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:05 PM

Yes she will still have a ton of energy. She may be come a little bit calmer, but since she is still a puppy, then she will still be playful and excitable. How old is she now?
    Like most dogs, as long as you are willing to play, so are they! It's definitely a smart decision to get her spayed. I recommend yo get your male GSD neutered too. It's the most responsible thing you can do as a pet owner! I am glad to see that youe thinking about doing that.

Mar 26, 2010, 04:08 PM

I want to breed the large dog. The small dog ( bella) is one and a half.
    Dogs Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:10 PM

Oh I see.

Have you ever bred dogs before? Has he been geneticaly tested? Do you have his breeding papers? Why do you want to breed your GSD?

Mar 26, 2010, 04:12 PM

Yes I have bred before :) cute little things :D He is a full blood sattle back gsd. And yes he has been tested :D
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:04 PM

Truckdriver, what was your GSD's hip scores? What result did his eye test return?

I hope you realise there is much more to health testing than getting your vet to give the dog a once over.
    These tests are expensive and VERY rarely will anyone who is not a show breeder will perform them.

To answer your original question no it won't make her less energetic. Some females can gain weight after spaying but that is just all the more reason to exercise her often.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:50 PM

No, spaying your little pup will not cause her to be less playful. In fact, she may stay in a very playful, puppylike behavior for the rest of her life. Heat cycles cause the hormones to surge in the body. Typically, females will change they're behavior after their first or second cycle. Behaviors can also change after the dog has pups. I've always heard of drastic changes in the dogs, but never witnessed it first hand.

As for the breeding. Please be selective of who you breed to. It probably wouldn't hurt if you tried to get at least some type of show title on your boy. Gsds are very good at obedience, I'm sure you'd tytle quickly. Getting a title on your dog not only proves your dogs genes are worth spreading around, it will also bring a higher value to his stud services. You will also be able to breed to high quality females. Please don't just breed your dog because he has akc papers. Make him something worth breeding to. Lord knows we have one two many dogs that are breeding just because (and yes, I'm talking about pure breds).

Apr 3, 2010, 04:54 AM

Thank you guys so much I was just really worried
    emily_godzilla Posts: 115, Reputation: 5

Apr 3, 2010, 01:53 PM

Hey truckdriver just saw your post we actually have a german shepherd female who is going to be two in july-we got her fixed at six months and she is still very playful. I think if you are not going to breed your chiuahnna that it is best for her and you if she gets fixed. Then there are less dog fights also less chance of strays trying to go after your female pup.
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Apr 3, 2010, 07:06 PM

Female 6 months
    Male 3 years
    Both are still the most energetic and fun pups ever:D

But you probably already know this, since you have bred before(not totally engaged):rolleyes:
    Unless none were ever fixed.:confused::)

May 16, 2010, 09:36 AM

I have breed dogs in the past. It was a lab. Never bread a gsd. Not sure if I should do it anymore.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 16, 2010, 09:53 AM

There are enough dogs in this world :) No need to add to it.

Get him fixed. He'll be a better dog for it!
    Dogs Expert

May 16, 2010, 11:05 AM

Especially since he has a genetic spinal cord problem. That will be passed down to the pups. And than you aren't producing quality pups.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy Mill Schnauzer Puppy won't walk with a leash. [ 5 Answers ]

We just received a 6 month old Schnauzer from a puppy mill. The dog doesn't mind wearing a collar and leash, but when I get ready to lead him somewhere, he refuses to move. I have dragged him 100ft. At a time and he never gave in. I have to carry him anywhere I want him to go. He seems to have...

Potty training an eight month old puppy from a puppy store [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I were at a pet store a week ago and saw the cutest little 8 month old Ratpoo. He was 'on sale' as they were trying to get rid of him as he had been there for 8 months. Our hearts broke for him so we decided to take him home (we also have a 6 YO lab/pit mix girl). We put him in a...

Puppy trying to go back home? Puppy Attatchment? [ 8 Answers ]

http://bp2.blogger.com/_FAAhWpUtQZk/RuRyYXJT6-I/AAAAAAAAABE/oFHBuJrtsyU/s1600-h/buddahs.jpg Photo can also be seen at buddahs.jpg (image) Above a photo of Johnny Cash (jack russell mix). Someone gave me this dog mid August when she was 2 months old. I had her from mid August till the end of...

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy pining after death of puppy sister [ 1 Answers ]

In November I adopted two no determined breed puppies who were about 9 weeks old. Although they did not look alike, my feeling was they were siblings. WE have had several power outages in our area and despite having two gates barring my property the puppies were able to get out and sadly the...

View more questions Search