Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bpete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Fee for Medical Records?
    I am a ins agent helping a elderly man claim on a cancer policy. I have an authorization to obtain his Med info. I have filed thousands of claims over 23 yrs. First time I ever had a doctors office what to charge me for the records. Since most doctors and hospital income come from Ins companies, isn't this like paying a fee just to get your bill after lunch at a restaurant. By the way I did not sell him the policy, just helping.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 01:32 PM

Many doctor's offices do charge fees to provide medical records to individuals. After all, you're costing them time and materials. There are fees associated when these records are provided to insurance companies but it's usually included in overhead so the patient just doesn't "see" the actual charge.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want my medical records [ 14 Answers ]

Recently ,I found out that after losing my insurance for three years (medicaid) when I went to the doctor(lame description) they had somehow misplaced all my records.Even the lame doctor who I saw said she was aghast about the whole thing.. PLEASE! She was a horrible doctor! Lost my Medicaid...

Medical Records from Pregnancy [ 5 Answers ]

How can the father and/or the grandmother get the medical records of the mother while she was pregnant? My son was told in June that his girlfriends was pregnant. Therefore in August he married her. During this time her due date changed from march 30 to march 7 to April 19. My son never got to...

Mailing medical records [ 4 Answers ]

I recently left a message at my physicians office requesting results from my recent labwork I had done. I later found out that my Actual Medical Records were mailed out to me, but I did not get them because they were sent to the wrong address. I didn't think that they were even allowed to mail out...

Can you charge an insurance company a fee for sending medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any provisions within HIPPA that allow a physician to charge insurance companies for copying and sending of medical records. We receive a large amount of medical record requests from Insurance companies in order for them to establish pre-existing conditions. I...

Medical records [ 1 Answers ]

Does HIPPA affect the person to have access to their medical records?

View more questions Search