Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jomcbrien Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 11:34 AM
    I have an automatic garage door opener that continues to reverse itself when attempti
    I have an automatic garage door opener that continues to reverse itself when attempting to close the door. It'll go down a bit and then start to bring the door back up. I had to pull the release latch to get the door down. I had been using the door closer and for a couple of days had to hold the closer down as the door would try to reverse and go up. There is nothing between the sensors and the motor sounds great.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 01:48 PM

Check to be sure that the door sensors are properly aligned. They usually have an indicator light (usually green) that indicates when the receiver "sees" the transmitter.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Mar 26, 2010, 09:24 PM

What type of door is it - roller or tilt? Some types of doors have a current sensor in the motor circuit that detects an overload (usually from an obstruction) and causes the motor to switch to 'up' movement.

Check for dirt, corrosion, bent parts, or anything else that might provide abnormal resistance to the door or motor's movement.

The other possibility is a limit switch that's broken or badly out of adjustment.

When you tell us what type of door it is, we might be able to offer more specific advice. (A brand and model number would be even more useful.)

Daniel

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage Door Opener Will Not Close Door. Light Is Flashing. [ 16 Answers ]

Garage door opener does not close door. Light is flashing and there no obstructions in sensors. Chester

Overhead Door garage door opener light just blinks? [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: My 15 y/o Overhead Door (brand) garage door opener was working fine opening & closing until a few days ago. It has very low usage because I mostly park my car outside the garage door. Now when I press the remote control w/ new battery OR the hard wired wall switch, the light on the...

Garage door opener making loud noise and door won't go up [ 1 Answers ]

When I pushed the button to open my mom's garage door, the door went up about an inch and made a loud banging noise like a machine gun. We got the door to open by pushing on the button and pushing up on the door. The noise is coming from the part in the middle of the garage door that goes down...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

Garage door opener prevents door from opening all the way -- how to fix? [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I moved into a house three months ago and we didn't realize this problem before we bought it. I'm trying to solve a problem with an existing garage door and Genie opener which due to the amount of backroom along the tracks, doesn't allow me to open the garage door the full length...

View more questions Search