Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kezzaboo39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2010, 01:58 AM
    Long term tenants paid $50,000 rent now being forced to pay weekly
    Afew years ago my mother and then step dad brought a set of units with the intent of living in one, renting out one and giving another to my mums parents to live in (my nan and pop). My nan and pop put in $50,000 towards the cost of the property which was $130,000 all up, so they really paid for their unit outright. Thinking things would run smoothly they gave this money to my mother and step dad in cash and didn't put their name on the mortgage. To my knowledge this money was never put on the mortgage but used to finance a large shed for my step dads race cars.
    Okay so roll afew years later, my mum and step dad get divorced and spilt propertys. My now ex step dad was given these units which contain his now ex in laws. He is now forcing them to pay rent or threatening he will sell up leaving them homeless with nothing. I feel they have already put in enough money to have covered enough for rent for years to come and shouldn't be forced to have to pay again. The problem is it was all done in good will and nothing is in writing. I feel if he does sell they shouold at least get some of the profit as they paid almost half. Any advice would be greatly appriciated thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 26, 2010, 04:12 AM

Since they are not on the deed, he may change them rent, or evict them if he wants.

The issue of the 50,000 investment in the property should have
    1. been in writing
    2. been addressed at the divorce hearing .

They will have to try now and sue for the money back trying to show it was a "loan" not a gift
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 07:38 AM

Hello k:

Nan and Pop needs a good lawyer.

excon
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:35 AM

Since nothing was in writing your grandparents are going to have a hard time proving their case. It's going to be he said she said and the Judge will have to rule according to the law, not according to any moral law.

They were too trusting to have just forked over that kind of money and not have their names on the deed.

Yes, they will have to pay rent if he so designates them to do so and if they don't pay, they can and probably will be evicted.

Very hard, bitter lesson for them unfortunately.

Hey, if you can't mess over your relatives, who can you effectively mess over?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenants do not pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

Dear Sirs, I have a lease agreement as a Landlord. The property is located in Denver, COLORADO. Tenants have not paid the rent for 11 days. I sent them an eviction notice. Tenants do not respond on my phone calls and do not even bother to call me back knowing that eviction is coming. My...

Tenants won't pay for last months rent. [ 1 Answers ]

I gave my tenants 30 day notice since there lease is up. Now they won't pay the rent for the last month and also the water bill. What actions do I need to take?

Pay Mortgage in one state, pay rent in the state I work in. Can I deduct rent paid? [ 1 Answers ]

I moved to NY from California in late July of '07 to start a new job. My wife was originally going to move out with me, but has been unable to gain employement in NY. The new plan is for me to move back to CA in the next couple of months. We own a home in CA for which we pay a mortgage, and I pay...

Tenants living in my home no rent has been paid and 30 day notice given [ 1 Answers ]

Do I have the right to change locks on house after 30 day notice was given and has expir ed tenants did not give me back the keys They have been living in that house for 2 years not paying any rent and no contract was every given between me and them I bought the house let them move in and they...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

View more questions Search