Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vinley811 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 08:12 PM
    Returning to work after 4 year gap, and receiving SSDI. How to explain this on resume
    Four years ago, I was diagnosed with depression and social anxiety due to a personal issue. Started receiving SSDI in 2007 due to these conditions. I now have completely resolved these problems and am ready to return to work full force. As you may guess, the enormous employment gap compounded with the past medical issues are very detrimental to my return. I need any and all advice on how to explain this on a resume to keep me from getting passed up for an interview or a job. Thanks for the help...
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 25, 2010, 08:46 PM

I would recommend that you not share this information with your potential employers. They have no need to know about your health concerns, whether mental or physical, and do not need to know how you have been supporting yourself. When you start a job I would still not share this information with anyone at work - it's very personal and should only be shared on a need-to-know basis. Nobody at work "needs to know".

Rather I would just give some innocuous reason you have taken time off from work such as, "taking a few years to focus on my family's needs". Or you can say, "I had the opportunity to take a few years off and took the opportunity". If you have anything productive to show for the time such as additional education or travel or volunteer work or anything of the kind, you can mention it if you like.

You will get passed up for a lot of job interviews and don't be discouraged - it has less to do with this issue than a flooded job market. Expect your search to take a long time and don't let yourself get discouraged! Some people apply to dozens or even hundreds of jobs before they get called into an interview, and I've known some people who've been to dozens of interviews before getting an acceptable offer, so just be patient.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 08:49 PM

Create a functional/job skills resumes that shows off what you can do, not where you've been and how long.
    Monica585 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1
    -

Apr 11, 2011, 11:56 PM
    A Resume must be designed to sell your skills, knowledge, and experience to an employer so that the concerned person will invite you for an interview.

http://www.resumes.in/category/attendant-resume
    This link will help you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does receiving alimony effect my SSDI benefits? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in the process of an "ugly" divorce. I am disabled and receiving SSDI currently. It was taxable when I was married due to my husband's income. My "ex" will have to pay me some alimony, but I am concerned, will this alimony take away from my social security disability benefits, because is it...

Have forced gap in resume. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work for a US based firm as Software Developer ,while visiting my home country I got stuck with visa processing and it took some 6 months to clear it. My question is for this duration of 6 months gap how should I mention it my resume? I was not working for this duration and neither get...

Specifications i.e. spark plug gap,tappet gap hot & cold, air gap [ 1 Answers ]

I need these specs for a briggs & stratton Vanguard 16 hp v-twin ohv engine. Model no 303442.Thank u very much Jan

Resume not receiving call backs [ 5 Answers ]

I have a pretty solid resume written, but I do not seem to be getting a high response rate. It's currently on two pages, I've had a professional rewrite it for me, but for some reason, I am still not getting the traction I would like to see. Can anyone help?

Opening bank accounts for children under 18 receiving ssdi checks [ 1 Answers ]

my children will be receiving ssdi checks but I will be the payee. What type of accounts must I set up for them? There checks will be going direct deposit, what are the conditions of me making withdrawals, to take care of their daily needs?

View more questions Search