Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 01:04 PM
    Custom wood carving
    Okay, PLEASE don't make too much fun of me for this!

I've tried Googling, and I've tried the local yellow/business pages already.

I am looking for a wood carver that would be willing to make me a couple of small figurines out of willow (yeah--beat that for strange) for an anniversary present for my husband. We do the traditional gifts, and this year it's willow.

The ONLY thing I can seem to find made of willow is a cricket bat. We're just not cricket fans, being on the wrong side of the pond. So I was hoping to find someone who could carve me a couple of little kitties out of willow to give to the husband.

HOWEVER--all I can seem to find are either people who do not do custom work (or cats! How can you not do cats? ), or people who only do "art" (which is out of my price range) or industrial/commercial carving (like mantle pieces, cabinetry, the like).

Any suggestions on how I could find someone who would be not only willing to make a couple of little cats for a reasonable price (we're talking under $100 here) but be willing to make them out of willow?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 01:33 PM

Okay, I'll bite, why willow ? Tell me why and I may have some suggestions. By the way cricket bats, as you probably know, are two thin.

Tick
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 01:47 PM

We have been since we got married giving the "traditional" anniversary gifts to each other.

Traditional and Modern Anniversary Gifts Table There's a list.

Since we werent' looking ahead last year, we got the pottery for year 8---which makes it kind of silly to get for year 9.

So... willow is what we're stuck with. Our back yard is too small to put a willow tree into--they get VERY large. I haven't liked much I've seen in the way of artwork with willows in it.

So I was just wracking my brain to come up with ANYTHING I could have made of willow, since I can't seem to find anything already commonly made from willow except cricket bats.
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:14 PM

Willow tree branches are being used in a lot of permanent floral designs for patios, living rooms, etc. They are very attractive and durable. At least in my neck of the woods they are being used. In fact I am thinking this spring of doing an arrangement on my slate patio of willow trunks and perennials with a backdrop of lights for evening entertaining.

Does this sound interesting ? If I can find a pic I will post it. These arrangements are perfectly sophisticated and lovely.

Tick
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:16 PM

Oh, synn, don't forget about ' p***ssy willow'... a perfect spring time adornment. I can't believe you are running out of ideas, what a perfectly wonderful time of year to have an anniversary. Now you have my attention and you will never hear the end of this my dear !

Tick
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:23 PM

Actually, our anniversary is in July--I just learned from experience to plan in advance.

While those sound like lovely ideas for MY gift--and believe me, I'll pass that on to my husband--it's almost too "girly" as a gift for him. The problem I'm running into is that so much of the stuff I find in willow is very feminine--and my hubby is definitely masculine!

He likes little cat statuettes, though, so I thought it would be neat to have someone carve little miniatures of OUR cats for him out of willow. But I wanted to do it NOW, so that if I can find someone, they'll have time to do it.

PS--this is almost a contest with us every year. We try to see who can be the most imaginative with the basic theme, and still get something that suits the other's personality/interests.
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    Actually, our anniversary is in July--I just learned from experience to plan in advance.

While those sound like lovely ideas for MY gift--and believe me, I'll pass that on to my husband--it's almost too "girly" as a gift for him. The problem I'm running into is that so much of the stuff I find in willow is very feminine--and my hubby is definitely masculine!

He likes little cat statuettes, though, so I thought it would be neat to have someone carve little miniatures of OUR cats for him out of willow. But I wanted to do it NOW, so that if I can find someone, they'll have time to do it.

PS--this is almost a contest with us every year. We try to see who can be the most imaginative with the basic theme, and still get something that suits the other's personality/interests.
    I wish you luck, but you may have to do some quick footwork there synn. I don't think you are going to achieve your desire of a willow carving; it is even beyond my sleuthing skills, which are many, I can assure you.

Hugs
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:22 AM

I couldn't find one either.
    Try to find a wood carving discussion board. You can buy Diamond Willow for carving, maybe you can find a wood carver on the board that does it for a hobby.
    Maybe you'll get lucky and he/she might already have some for sale.:)
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 10:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    okay, i'll bite, why willow ? Tell me why and I may have some suggestions. By the way cricket bats, as you probably know, are two thin.

tick
    Willow is easy to carve, stain and apply a finish to it.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 10:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    So....willow is what we're stuck with. Our back yard is too small to put a willow tree into--they get VERY large.
    That would depend on the type of Willow tree. There's more than one type.
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:00 PM
    Full bodied and thick, or thin carvings, Synnen? What exactly is it that you're looking for here, please?

For instance, is this something that might be hung on a wall or made to be stood on its own on a table?

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 26, 2010, 11:54 PM

My search found this:

Whittlin' Woodcarver Custom Carvings of Rochester Hills for that Unique Gift Idea or for the Collector!
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 08:20 AM

Full bodied, and to sit on a small shelf was my original idea.

3"-5" tall or so, and about 1"-3" deep/wide. I was thinking the size of a salt shaker, generally.

GetUnique: Cats Playing - Bone Resin Sculpture, Cat Lover Gifts

Something like that :)
    Expert

Mar 27, 2010, 08:28 AM

KISS--good find! I'll email him from work on Monday (don't want the hubby catching me!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Blick wood carving [ 2 Answers ]

I got a small wood carving at an auction signed by blick who I think is a native american carver does anyone know anything about him?

Carving and etching eggs [ 7 Answers ]

Hi everyone, As you know I am now trying to learn the art of carving eggs, Except I am a little confused what is the difference in carving an egg? And etching an egg/? Can anyone help? Also if anyone knows a good book or video for beginners on the art of carving I would love to know.

Carving on seashells [ 4 Answers ]

Was wondering if anyone has ever carved a scene on a seashell? If so any advise would be great , thanks, angie

Egg carving ? [ 10 Answers ]

I am wanting to try the art of egg carving.. Does anyone know how I can get started?? Tools I need? Books for beginners? The steps to learning this new art. Eggs just fasinate me, as you have seen before, am doing beading, painting, and pysanky, now want to try the new art for me of...

Pumpkin Carving [ 31 Answers ]

Have you carved your Pumpkin yet? Ben and Millie have done ours I thought id share it with you all, why don't you take a picture of yours too and share it. http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f132/curlybenswife/PA280072.jpg Oh nearly forgot Happy halloween

View more questions Search