Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rpmsvc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 25, 2010, 11:21 AM
    Should I file a home owners claim ?
    I just remodeled my house a few weeks ago. Today it just flooded due to a back up that appears to be in the main drain. Water got under my new laminate floors, counter cabinets and into the walls. Most water seems to have come out of the dish washer. Should I call state farm and report it it would be my only and first claim in over ten years. And what would they cover. Plumbing, cabinets, floor ? Any ideas how it would affect my Premiums. Thanks in advance
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 25, 2010, 01:02 PM

Rpm, all you can do is ask them. Pretty hard to judge what they would cover but this is actually what your homeowners insurance is for. As to premiums, that would be difficult to determine.

Tick
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Mar 26, 2010, 01:21 PM

If the damage is due to back of your drain lines, it will not be covered unless you carry a special endorsement on your policy specifically for Water & Sewage backup.

Generally speaking, your policy covers the resulting damage from an occurrence -NOT the system that caused the loss. So for example, if a pipe bursts and ruins your floors- the damaged floors are covered not the plumbing work.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2010, 04:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    If the damage is due to back of your drain lines, it will not be covered unless you carry a special endorsement on your policy specifically for Water & Sewage backup.

Generally speaking, your policy covers the resulting damage from an occurrence -NOT the system that caused the loss. So for example, if a pipe bursts and ruins your floors- the damaged floors are covered not the plumbing work.
    Most people look at insurance as a maintenance policy and not an insurance policy against things happening like burst pipes, excessive rain water causing a flooded situation, tree crashing through roof, etc.

Depending on how many claims you made regardless of how expensive or inexpensive the claims were your rates will go up and after 3 claims you could be dropped by your carrier regardless of how long you've been with them. And another insurance company might decline covering you due to too many claims in a short period as well.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 12, 2010, 08:16 PM

yes, with State Farm ( and most companies) you have to purchase an addition to the policy ( a rider) to cover sewer back up, it is not automatically covered.

So if you had this, you can file a claim. What is your deductable ? And what was the value of the claim

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I claim 5 kids and file jointly w/sp. Or do I allow ex to claim 2? [ 1 Answers ]

I am married with 5 children, my ex husband wants to claim 2 of my kids, does it benefit me to claim 5 kidsand file jointly with my now husband or should I just let my ex claim the other 2 kids?

Home owners [ 2 Answers ]

Can homeowners association put a lien on a home that's already paid for?

Home owners insurance [ 2 Answers ]

This really happened & I am baffled by the result. A tree in my yard falls & hits one of my cars. The car only has liability insurance coverage on it. The car was a total loss. My first reaction was that the home owners policy will take care of that. Not.. Evidently it only covers acts of...

Abandoned Home Owners [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a 'free' site to locate the owners of properties that have been abandoned?

View more questions Search