Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jack dandy Posts: 226, Reputation: 9

Mar 24, 2010, 10:35 AM
    Need help in getting over guilt of putting my dog down, he was 13 yrs old?
    I am asking for any help I can get at getting over the guilt of putting my 13 yr. old german short hair pointer down, he was probably the best dog I ever had and I've had a few. Any help would be appreciated.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:01 AM

I'm not a dog expert. But isn't 13 old for a dog? My aunt had to put one of her dogs down. It was really hard for her. But watching him suffer in his old age was worse. He could barely eat anymore. He could barely walk. We were pretty sure he was at least half blind and half deaf. Had you dog been suffering before you put him down?
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 24, 2010, 11:25 AM

Was your dog suffering? If yes, then you made the best, a loving decision. I have gsps too. 5 years ago my old girl had to be put down. She had cancer of the blatter. It was so bad that the x-rays came back and her bladder looked like a steak. We did the surgeries.. and she did OK for awhile.. but the cancer became more aggressive and took out her kidneys. It was one of the worse days ever... but it was the right decision.

Everyone has a heart dog. He obviously was yours. You may never get over him, but trust me, the pain a feeling of loss and guilt will go away. He is in a better place... waiting for you at rainbow bridge... Rainbows Bridge Home Page
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Mar 30, 2010, 11:14 AM

We have a secret, you and I
    That no one else shall know,
    For who but I can see you lie
    Each night in fire glow?
    And who but I can reach my hand
    Before we go to bed
    And feel the living warmth of you
    And touch your silken head?
    And only I walk woodland paths
    And see ahead of me,
    Your small form racing with the wind
    So young again, and free.
    And only I can see you swim
    In every brook I pass
    And when I call, no one but I
    Can see the bending grass
    --I found looking up poems like this one helped me, it makes you feel that your not the only one going through this. Also what did you and your dog like doing together? My dog and I loved to go swimming together, when I first lost her I went swimming in a place that her and I always did, it made me feel like I was close to her, and now when I feel like I just can't stand her being gone, I go back to that place and it truly feels like she is right there with me, it sounds silly, but it works for me, so maybe it will work for you.

I'm not over the pain of losing my dog, and I never want to be, if the pain is gone, I feel I will forget her, and I never want to do that. The pain has been easier to deal with, and at some points I don't feel it, but when I see something that reminds me of her, I feel it again, but to me it means I think of her all the time, which I don't really mind.
    DylanP Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2012, 08:33 AM
    Well its not easy at all I lost my two dogs diamond and soldjer they were the best dogs I had in a while.but that's not why I'm here today I wanted my question to be answered 2 once but its not your fault my dogs got out and ran and I wasn't there to keep them inside my dumbass cousin was and he let them out they got out side and ran. Long story short they could not catch them they bit 2 people and killed a dog that lived down the street. The police were called and we had to put them down so I hate the police for that it wasn't our dogs fault they were trained to protect not to get beat by a rake and a shovel I just wish I had them today. NO DOG WILL REPLACE THEM.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom putting me on a guilt trip [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a 27 year old young woman who is independent, successful, and self-sufficient. I have been never caused my parents problems, but have always charted my own course. As a teen, I moved out from my mother's house into my dad's to escape from the stress that she caused me by being...

Dog peeing when putting on leash to go outside [ 4 Answers ]

My dog piddles every time my boyfriend tries to put the dogs leash on to go for a walk.The dog is 9 yrs old and he was never kennel trained but he started getting up in the middle of the night and peeing in the living room, so I started to sleep lighter and every time I heard him jump off the kids...

Dog still not potty-trained 3 yrs old [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am in desperate need of advise. I have a 3 year old Weimaraner and have trouble with the dog "Chase" urinating in the house. I brought home Chase, a female on 2/14/04 from a well established breeder. I was taking Chase out to potty in the front yard and back yard for the first few...

Guilt at having an affair. Years ago, but just like yesterday Guilt Guilt , Guilt [ 5 Answers ]

I got married in 1992 after being with my partner for about 18 months , life was good. I found out I was pregnant, our daughter was born the same year. It wasn't long before I felt lost, alone and just an object that was there to look after and care for our daughter. He probably never meant to be...

Putting down an older dog [ 5 Answers ]

My poodle is over 15 years old. She is diabetic (2 shots a day) and is blind. She has reached the point where she wets everywhere, no matter how many times we take her out. We have "puppy pads" all over the house; she uses them all, but still wets on the carpet each day. It is embarrassing to...

View more questions Search