Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kalyanr Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2010, 10:00 AM
    Form 8223, form 8316 and form 843 for F-1 student (India)
    Hi,
    I am an International student (from India) doing my MS in Computer Science in NY. I worked for a month on CPT in 2009 and I got a w-2 form from my employer recently. And I realized that my employer did withheld Medicare Tax and social Security Tax. And I asked him to refund the SS Tax and Medicare Tax and he refused to refund and said I did not give him form 8223 along with the w-4. And I did some research and came to know that I can get a refund for SS tax and Medicare tax if I file form 8316 and form 843. I am filing 1040 NR-EZ and form 8843 and My question is, can I file those two forms (8316, 843) now without filing 8223. What is the best thing to do now. Please help. Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2010, 12:24 PM
    Yes, you can now file the Form 843 and 8316.

You SHOULD try to get a refusal letter from the employer, but it is NOT absolutely essential.

If you want professional help filing these forms, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 843 and 8316 Employer Penalty [ 1 Answers ]

I am a small business owner and one of my employees is an OPT student who is currently applying for HB-1 status. I was just made aware that for the past few months we have been taking Social Security and Medicare withholding for his pay. I understand now that this should not be the case. I made our...

NR form 843 [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am Indian (NR) and have been on OPT between 25 sep 2006- 25 sep 2007, H1b starting oct 2007. A few questions: 1. For 2006 , I should have filed 1040-NR. I did not and neglected it thinking I was only getting a return anyway. Is that a big offense? 2. For 2007 , I should be filing...

Form 843 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I wanted to clarify a question about filing Form 843 for refund of medicare and social security taxes. I was a student on OPT from start of 2007 to Sep 30, 2007. From Oct 1st my H1b started. How can I compute the amount for refund? Will it be all right to look into the pay slips I got...

Form 1099 received, but do I report on Form 1040 or just Form 2106? [ 1 Answers ]

Greetings. I'm hoping I can get some help on what to do with a 1099-MISC form I received from my employer that were for business expense reimbursements. I have read through some questions and answers already and based on them I'm going to file this as a Form 2106. The question is should I...

Received my W2c. Which form to fill - form 843 or 1040x? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was deducted social security and medicare taxes by my employer in the year 2006. Now, since I was under student Visa (F1) at the time of employment, I was not supposed to have been taxed the SS and medicare taxes. I have already informed my company, and they have sent me the corrected W2...

View more questions Search