Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mom of 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2010, 10:03 AM
    I live in Illionis an I just recvied a letter from the state saying I have to appear
    I just received a letter stating I have to appear in court this month for child support that was ordered by the state NOT me.The child's father has not been in his life an has not paid anything to support him.It is now 11 years later an we are not wanting child support.Now I have received medical an foodstamps though out the time.So I understand they want some money back.MY question is can I pay back the state an not worry about the child support? My son does not by his choose to c him? Need help please!
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 07:35 PM

The state will come after the support money first because he was supposed to pay all along. Yes, you are right that the government needs the money back. Are you still getting assistance through the state? If so how do you plan on paying them back? If not again, how do you plan on paying all of the money?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 07:46 PM

The state will go after him for the support ( since you were suppoe to be but failed to provide that income for your son)

No you can not just pay back the state, I am confused, you wish to pay back all of the value of the welfare you have received and not receive any help just to protect the child's father, ( that must be some strange love for him)

But his payment and his right to visit are two different things, he always had the right to file for visits if he wanted, merely not paying support does not take that right away, support and visit are not related.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Driver's license from a state, live in another state, work in a different one [ 8 Answers ]

I just moved from MI to NYC but I will start work in NJ. Is the lease that I started for a place in NYC enough to prove my NY residency? Or do I have to also change my driver's license (which currently is from MI)? I am basically trying to figure out how to avoid having MI taxes still deducted...

If I live in the state of MO, but work in the state of KS what should be my primary ? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the state of MO, but work out of the state of KS. What should my primary state be and secondary state be?

Joint State taxes when I live in 1 state and wife lives in another [ 3 Answers ]

Presently I am living and working in NM. My wife and children are living in MA. My wife does not work. In order to get MA health Insurance I had to set my permanent address in MA for my company. I am now paying state taxes to both states. Should I be paying taxes in the state that I am not living...

Work in one state, get taxed by the state I live in [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Michigan, but I work in Indiana. My company taxes me Michigan tax. While filing my state return do I have to also file an Indiana state tax?

Work and live in one state and paycheck comes from another state [ 2 Answers ]

I receive my paycheck from PA but do not live or work in that state yet. May relocate soon. Should they be deducting PA taxes from my check?

View more questions Search