Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:36 AM
    FAQ for Muslims
    Assalaam alaikum,

Some of the frequently asked questions posted on Askmehelpdesk by muslims will be answered in this thread.

Topics include :
    Conditions of worship in Islam
    How to perform Salat/Prayer/Namaz?
    Points to ponder when naming children
    What is Bid'ah?

I will keep adding to this thread.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:37 AM
    Conditions of worship in Islam

Shaykh Muhammad ibn Saalih ibn 'Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said:

Firstly: the worship must be in accordance with sharee'ah in its reasons. Any person who worships Allaah by doing an act of worship that is not done for a reason proven in sharee'ah is doing an act of worship that will be rejected and is not enjoined by Allaah and His Messenger. An example of that is celebrating the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), or celebrating the twenty-seventh night of Rajab, claiming that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was taken up into heaven on that night. This is not in accordance with sharee'ah so it is to be rejected.

Please follow link for the detailed answer
    http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/21519/Mawlid
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step by step guide to performing Salat.

YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 1/7 (Intro & Wudu)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 2/7 (Reminders)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 3/7 (Fajr)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 4/7 (Dhur)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 5/7 (Asr)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 6/7 (Maghreb)
    YouTube - Step-by-Step Guide to Prayer 7/7 (Isha)-(END)-REUPLOADED

Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:40 AM
    Etiquette of naming children

The basic principle concerning names is that they are permissible, but there are some matters which are prohibited according to sharee'ah and should be avoided when choosing names. These include the following:

- Enslavement to or worship of anything other than Allaah, including Prophets and angels. It is not permissible to be enslaved to or to worship anyone or anything other than Allaah at all. Among the names which express enslavement to or worship of anything other than Allaah are 'Abd al-Rasool (“slave of the Messenger”), 'Abd al-Nabi (“slave of the Prophet”) and 'Abd al-Ameer (slave of the prince) and other names which imply worship of or submission to anything other than Allaah. The person who has a name like this must change it. The great Sahaabi 'Abd al-Rahmaan ibn 'Awf (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: My name was 'Abd 'Amr – or according to one report, 'Abd al-Ka'bah – and when I became Muslim, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) called me 'Abd al-Rahmaan. (Narrated by al-Haakim, 3/306. Al-Dhahabi agreed with him)

- Names of Allaah which are befitting only for Him, may He be glorified, such as al-Khaaliq (the Creator), al-Raaziq (the Provider), al-Rabb (the Lord), al-Rahmaan (the Most Merciful), etc. which are names that befit only Allaah; names which describe attributes which are true only of Allaah, such as Malik al-Mulook (King of kings), al-Qaahir (the Subduer), etc. It is haraam to call people by these names, and they must be changed. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “Do you know of any who is similar to Him?” [Maryam 19:65].

- Names that belong exclusively to the kuffaar and are not used by anyone else, such as 'Abd al-Maseeh (“slave of the Messiah”), Butrous (Peter), Jurjus (George), and other names which denote religions of kufr.

- Names of idols and false gods which are worshipped instead of Allaah, such as naming someone after a devil and so on.

It is not permissible to call people after the names referred to above; indeed, doing so is haraam and anyone who has such a name is obliged to change it.

- It is makrooh (disliked) to use names which have off-putting meanings, either because the meaning is ugly or because it will provoke others to make fun of the person. Such names also go against the teaching of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who commanded us to give beautiful names. Examples of such (objectionable) names include Harb (“war”), Rashaash (sprinkles or drizzle), and Hiyaam – which is the name of a disease suffered by camels – and other names which have ugly or unpleasant meanings.

- It is makrooh to use names which have alluring or provocative meanings. This happens a lot when it comes to naming girls, where some names are given which have sexual or provocative meanings.

- It is makrooh to deliberately name someone after immoral people such as singers and actors/actresses, etc. If they have good names, it is permissible to use those names, but it must be because of the meaning of the name and not because of the desire to imitate those people.

- It is makrooh to give names which have meanings that refer to sin, such as Saariq (“thief”) or Zaalim (“wrongdoer”); or to give the names of Pharaohs or sinners, such as Fir'awn (Pharaoh), Haamaan (the name of Pharaoh's minister) and Qaaroon.

- It is makrooh to use the names of animals which are well-known for their undesirable characteristics, such as al-Himaar (donkey), al-Kalb (dog), al-Qird (monkey), etc.

Please follow link for the detailed answer-
    Islam Question and Answer - Etiquette of naming children
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:43 AM
    What is Bid'ah

This issue may be divided into three topics:

1. Definition of bid’ah
    2. Categories of bid’ah
    3. Rulings on one who commits bid’ah – does that make him a kaafir or not?

1.Definition of bid’ah.

Shaykh Muhammad ibn ‘Uthaymeen (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: “According to sharee’ah, the definition is ‘Worshipping Allaah in ways that Allaah has not prescribed.’ If you wish you may say, ‘Worshipping Allaah in ways that are not those of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) or his rightly guided successors (al-khulafaa’ al-raashidoon).’”

The first definition is taken from the aayah (interpretation of the meaning):

“Or have they partners with Allaah (false gods) who have instituted for them a religion which Allaah has not ordained?” [al-Shooraa 42:21]

The second definition is taken from the hadeeth of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), who said:

“I urge you to adhere to my way (Sunnah) and the way of the rightly-guided successors (al-khulafa’ al-raashidoon) who come after me. Hold fast to it and bite onto it with your eyeteeth [i.e. cling firmly to it], and beware of newly-invented matters.”

Please refer link for the full reply
    Islam Question and Answer - Detailed discussion of bid'ah and shirk
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 03:50 AM
    Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet's birthday)

There is nothing in the Qur'aan to say that we should celebrate the Mawlid or birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). The Prophet himself (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) did not do this or command anyone to do it, either during his lifetime or after his death. Indeed, he told them not to exaggerate about him as the Christians had exaggerated about Jesus (upon whom be peace). He said: “Do not exaggerate about me as the Christians exaggerated about the son of Maryam. I am only a slave, so say, 'The slave of Allaah and His Messenger.'” (Reported by al-Bukhaari). What has been reported is that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) made the day of his birth a day of worship, which is different to celebration. He was asked about fasting on Mondays, and he said: “That is the day on which I was born and the day on which I was entrusted with the Mission or when I was first given Revelation.” (Reported by Muslim, al-Nisaa'i and Abu Dawood).

Moreover, we know that the Sahaabah (may Allaah be pleased with them) were the people who loved the Prophet most. Was it reported that Abu Bakr, who was the closest of people to him and the one who loved him the most, celebrated the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? Was it reported that 'Umar, who ruled for twelve years, or 'Uthmaan, did this? Was it reported that 'Ali, his relative and foster son, did this? Was it reported that any of the Sahaabah did this? No, by Allaah! Is it because they were not aware of its importance, or did they not truly love the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)? No one would say such a thing except one who has gone astray and is leading others astray.

Please follow link for the detailed answer-
    Islam Question and Answer - Mawlid al-Nabi (the Prophet?s birthday)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also refer the following links for more information.
    Islam Question and Answer - Reading Qur?aan together, giving good deeds to the dead, and al-Mawlid al-Nabawi (celebrating the birthday of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him))

Islam Question and Answer - Ruling on buying special sweets sold on the Prophet?s birthday (Mawlid)

Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 04:03 AM
    Tattooing

Islam Question and Answer - Are Tattoos Haram in Islam
    Islam Question and Answer - Temporary and permanent tattoos ? types and rulings
    Islam Question and Answer - She has a tattoo from before she was Muslim

-----------------------------------------------------------

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Muslims and birthdays [ 19 Answers ]

Do muslims celebrate birthday's of family and friends? My boyfriend is religious and he said muslims don't celebraite birthday's.

American Muslims [ 1 Answers ]

Do you agree that, "American Muslims love to live in America while many of them love to hate America"? Explain you position.

For muslims. [ 12 Answers ]

Assalaam alaikum, Some listening and reading material you might like to look through now and then:). The Sunnah Islamic Page YouTube - Abu Hamza - Being Steadfast Now. More Than Ever. Huda Info Solutions : Holy Quran English Translation by Muhsin Khan : Surah Al-Fajr

Are muslims discriminating? [ 17 Answers ]

I`m a woman that has a serious relationship with a muslim man(born in the UK), and we have had some discussions due to cultural differences. I`m more spiritual than religious, but yet we seem to have the same view on life, so it`s not that big of a deal for us. If you think about it, the word...

View more questions Search