Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    marcwilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2010, 08:14 PM
    Plumbing questions answered
    Under my kitchen sink there are two PVC pipes coming out of the wall. They are 8 1/2" apart and appear to be similar, except one is capped. One is in use for the sink drain, and I'm hoping the other is a drain, too. The house is 22 years old; Seattle area. What are my chances that the second is a drain, too? New disposal interferes with the use of the original drain, and I'd like to use the 2nd drain for the new disposal, with a trap for each. What is the easiest way to verify that it's a drain?
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 22, 2010, 08:22 PM

One of them may be intended as a cleanout, but if you can hookup in a manner allowable by the code it should work just fine as a drain.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2010, 09:31 PM

Another possibility is it's an AAV or Studavent.

Take a pic and post using Go advanced/Manage attachments
    CHayn Posts: 177, Reputation: 10

Mar 23, 2010, 04:08 AM

Thanks for the backup, KISS. AAV's are not allowed in Illinois except in mobile homes, so that did not even cross my mind.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 23, 2010, 07:49 AM

AAV's are not allowed in Illinois
    But they are allowed else where.
    Welcome to the Plumbing Page Chayn.
    Here we post under all codes and we're real flexible about that.
    Northern Illinois? Would that be my home town of Rockford by any chance? I took my apprenticeship tn my fathers shop in Beloit, (seems like a hundred years ago) Hope you like us and stick around. We can always use experienced plumbers around to keep guys like me straight.
    Welcome again. Tom
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 08:26 AM

Second pipe is capped, what kind of cap, glued on or removable. Stick a snake in a couple of feet, run water in sink, pull snake out and see if it is wet. If it is, stick a hose in it and see what happens. You could have had a considerate plumber. My disposal drain is stubbed out separately.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing questions answered [ 0 Answers ]

I have connected some pex pipe to the proper pex fittings with the proper crimp tool and copper rings. They seemed to be on good but now I and am finding that the pipe will rotate on the fitting. Does that mean that the pipe-fitting join will leak when I fill the system or can the pipe rotate on...

Plumbing questions answered [ 1 Answers ]

Is it OK to connect a lavatory drain to the overflow pipe on the tub? Tub and sink are back to back.

We removed the toilet in our master bathroom to do some tiling. Once done, we were not able to install the toilet back because a piece of the flange had broken off. We decided to buy a new toilet (that uses less water) and called a plumber to put a new flange down and install the new toilet. It...

When I run my bathroom sink my tub drain backs up with water. Need some help on a solution? Doug

My hot water is far to powerful in the shower can I put a valve in the line between mains pressure cylnder and the shower?

View more questions Search