Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 10:23 AM
    Tylan Powder for dogs
    Before I go and blow $60 bucks... I was just curious if anyone heard of Tylan Powder? It recently floated through my mom's e-mail stating a lot of show people use this to help their dogs with diarreah. I've read its good for dogs with colitis... Which is what my blue has.

Tylan ® Powder (Brand)

Any feedback would be great!

Thanks
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 02:19 PM

Sorry Lucky, don't know too much about it. I've seen it, used it once or twice on dogs at the shelter (not that brand, but same idea) but that's about it.
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 08:46 PM

Did the shelter stuff at least work?
    Dogs Expert

Mar 23, 2010, 04:22 AM

As far as I could tell. One of the dogs had "IBS" that's what we used it for. I found it helped a lot for over night. The dog didn't stay too long, he was adopted by a shelter member with in the first week of him arriving.
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2010, 02:47 PM

Well that's good to hear that someone adopted a "problem child"!
    Allheart Posts: 1,639, Reputation: 436
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 05:02 AM
    Yes, I have heard of Tylan powder and know it is used by some breeders of breeds such as Maltese for tear staining for a 10 day regimen. Never heard of it for Colitis, nor would I use it for that, unless a vet specifically perscribed it for that ailment. Boiled Chicken and rice is always what I have heard helps in this situation. Very bland diet, no changes and no introductions of any other food or treat. You should use boneless chicken breast boiled until cooked and you can use white rice, however brown rice is better. Hope this helps.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 11:00 AM

Thank you very much for your input. I did quite a bit of research along with this post to discover if Tylan powder could be used on my girl... She was diagnosed with HISTIOCYTIC ULCERATIVE COLITIS, which, from my understand is only in boxers. The only antibiotic to help this type of colitis is Baytril.. I'm currently trying to find a good, fiber full food to put her on. Wellness came out with a new line... I haven't found anyone who sells it yet... Hopefully I can get her on that food asap.

All other forms of colitis can be treated with the tylosin antibiotic.

But thank you again. I appreciate it.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 05:09 PM

If that's Tylosin (page isn't loading for me, intenret is being stupid), we use that a lot for diarrhea.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 06:04 PM

I think it's a form of it. I read online that the Tylosin based treatments can be used to treat colitis among other types of stress diarrhea
    Dogs Expert

Mar 29, 2010, 06:06 PM

I went to the website. Yea it basically said that it can be used for Colitis and IBS.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 07:52 PM

Very common product for those things. Works quite well in my experience.
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 07:55 PM

Is it chronic colitis? Have you tried Azulfadine?
    Ultra Member

Mar 29, 2010, 08:45 PM

No I haven't. I'm about ready to order some more Baytril. She has episodes of this colitis. I kind of neglected her through the last one.. But I want to be ready next time. It took about a week and a half for her to get over this episode.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is phot grade hydroquinone powder the same as the skin lightening powder? [ 7 Answers ]

Is hydroquinone powder that is used for skin lightening the same kind used for photo development?. because if so there is a seller on eBay selling it by the pound for SUPER CHEAP! $17 and... 250 grams for $10 or so... and $7 shipping... I wanted to buy some but before I do and then it is the wrong...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

Collagen Powder [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any problems you know of for taking Collagen powder twice a day ?

Monobenzone powder [ 33 Answers ]

Hey guys I would like to know what does 99% Min monobenzone powder means, as far as strength goes. Does it mean that is the maximum strength. Does anyone know as well the proper way to mix the monobenzone powder. Since it cheaper to purchase it in that form. Thanks guys.

Will Garic Powder increase my dogs appetite? [ 25 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for a few weeks and I had a bunch of test done on him last week, since I brough him home from the vet he hasn't;t eaten much, just maybe a few nibbles here and there. The vet suggested giving him some children's Gravol and adding some Garlic Powder into some food. She said...

View more questions Search