Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAROLJESTERKIL Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Mar 21, 2010, 05:43 PM
    two cars traveling
    Two cars leave an intersection. One car travels north; the other east. When the car traveling north had gone 12 miles, the distance between the cars was 8 miles more than the distance traveled by the car heading east. How far had the east bound car traveled?

I thought the equation to be 8+B+B-12 the answer being 2miles
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2010, 06:39 AM

You didn't consider the direction. If they were travelling in opposite directions, then you would have done what you have written.

Use Pythagoras' Theorem for this problem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse in a right-angled triangle is the sum of the square of the two sides.

The distance car A travelled is 12 km.
    Let the one car B travelled be B km.
    Their distance apart then is (B + 8) km.

If you have made a sketch, you'll see that (B+8) is the hypotenuse.

I guess you can complete it now. Post what you did and your answer!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Traveling [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Im Michael Conti. Im currently enrolled in the University of Las Vegas, Nevada. Lately I have been distracted from my work in school. Im really beginning to Wonder what is out there? Im interested in experiencing new cultures, eating new food and Seeing new places and people. Im...

Traveling to the you.S.A [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I'm from Canada and I'm just wondering if there are any laws to traveling down into the states or if there is a certain age requirement.. im 17 and my girlfriend is 16 and we want to go down to Duluth,MN..

One way traveling [ 2 Answers ]

Seen I can not fight can I take a one way cruise to my destination

Cars [ 3 Answers ]

How does a car go on the ground? Which forces are acting on the wheels of the car so that it goes forward? What are the name of these forces and in which direction do they act on the wheels of the car?

View more questions Search