Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haynes.chatkat.kathy048@gmail.com's Avatar
    [email protected] Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2010, 09:28 AM
    Is there any help for funeral expenses when a young family has a death and no life in
    My nephew is 26 and has terminal cancer.He is married and the father of three small children.They have no life insurance.Are there any programs or organizations that can help.Time is a real issue here.Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 10:06 AM

Call township offices, county offices, and one or two local funeral homes. There is probably help available. Always ask any place that says no if they can refer you to anyone else who might be able to help. Area churches might have resources too. My dad was a minister and helped out for free in situations like this.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 21, 2010, 05:00 PM

If no one claims the body, at some point the state buries them.

There may be payment plans that can be worked out with many places
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2010, 07:33 PM

There is a small amount of money, a death benefit, provided by social security. His children will also qualify for monthly social security after he passes so look into how that works.

You can also set up a memorial fund and write, "memorials requested in lieu of flowers" in the obituary. People just send a check which can be put toward funeral expenses.

Clergy may well be willing to officiate for free in a hardship situation - ask. And talk to a local funeral director about how funds can be saved and how funeral expenses can be financed. As mentioned by others, there may be some assistance available.

I am deeply sorry to hear of the heartache of this situation for you, your nephew and his children. He's blessed to have you looking out for him and his kids.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Funeral and burial expenses [ 2 Answers ]

My father passed away on October 2006. He was 77yo and on SSI, so I was left with the funeral and burial expenses. Are these expenses Tax Detuctible for my 2006 return? Thanks

Death of wife and funeral etiquette [ 9 Answers ]

This is two questions regarding what is appropriate when your wife passes on and about funeral etiquette. My mother passed over the Memorial Weekend n Friday, May 23rd... her 35th wedding anniverisary with my step father. She'd been ill for 2 years and the last 6 months her health declined at a...

Made a loan for funeral expenses, now can't get repaid [ 1 Answers ]

My brother passed away 2 months ago and his son didn't have enough money to pay for his funeral. My husband and I offered to loan him the money needed so they could go ahead with the service. We actually borrowed from a friend and then loaned him $1,600 and $600 was repaid the day of the funeral....

Young guinea pig death [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, my son and I got our first guinea pig a couple of weeks ago and the other morning he went out to get it and it was dead. We fed it only the correct grain,carrot, brocholli and apple. It was only two months old and showed no signs of illness. Is this common and what could have been the...

View more questions Search