Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krish_bang Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 12:19 PM
    Having L1 Visa stay less than 183 days 1040 or 1040NR?
    I came to US on 3 rd Aug 2009 along with my wife and kid. I visited US 2008 in business Visa and stayed for 56 days. In 2009 visited in business visa for 11 days. Do I need to file for 1040 or 1040NR? Do I qualify for exemptions for myself and spouse?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 4, 2010, 09:46 AM
    Krish:

You can file jointly with your wife and you both CHOOSE to be treated as resident aliens. This will allow you to claim the $11,400 joint standard deduction plus two $3,650 personal exemption (for yourself and your wife), plus a $3,650 exemption and $1,000 Child Tax Credit for your child.

To apply for an ITIN, you need to complete Form W-7 for your wife and child. You need to make a photocopy of their passports, then get the photocopy notarized. This can be done at your local bank in most states in the U.S.

The downside is that:

• You must wait until mid-May 2010 to meet the Substantial Presence Test before you can file for Tax Year 2009.
    • You must declare ALL 2009 world-wide income (wife's home country income, if applicable). There is an offset available by either claiming the Foreign Tax Credit (Form 1116) or to claim the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555).

Even with the downside, this is probably the best way for you to file.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stay in US less than 183 days, any tax advantages? [ 1 Answers ]

My company headquarter is in CA, I am an employee of its NJ branch. Usually, I pay NJ state tax every year. After 05/10/2008, I move to branch of my company in other country. But all my salary and relation stay the same in NJ. That is because the company may expect me to return after some time. ...

Tax calculation for less than 183 days stay in US [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, How are the number of days in US is calculated. I came to US on June 15th 2008. I went back to India for 1 month Aug 1st to Aug 30th. From Sep1st till end of the year I am going to stay in US. Will I be counted for <183 days or not? Regards AP

I am on h1 less than 183 days wife in india need to fill 1040nr [ 3 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I was in usa from aug07 to dec07 on H1and duration was less than 183 days. During this period my wife was in india and not earning. She has H4 but not entered in usa as f now. How should I file my returns for 2007. What will be my status for filing Nonresident filing saperately?...

View more questions Search