Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shanna79 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 03:05 PM
    Where do I go to open closed adoption records?
    I was adopted 31 years ago and I have decided to open my records. I know it was closed. That's about it. I know where I was born and in what hospital. Where do I start? I also know the name of the Dr. that help my adoptive parents but he is deceased. Any suggestions?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 04:12 PM

If the adoption records were sealed then you have no right to open them. Why are you trying to open them?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 08:15 PM

Normally you can't open a closed adoption

Mar 20, 2010, 05:37 AM

I have 2 children who look identical to me. I am curious to see who we look like. Im also curious of my history. I don't want to reunite cause Im happy.

Mar 20, 2010, 05:39 AM

I also was told by my adoptive parents that when I turned 21 it shouldn't be an issue to open the records. I just don't know where to start or who to call concerning those records. Any suggestions?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shanna79 View Post
    I also was told by my adoptive parents that when I turned 21 it shouldn't be an issue to open the records. I just don't know where to start or who to call concerning those records. Any suggestions?
    Are your adoptive parents still alive? If so that's where you start first. Just remember that your opening wounds for them because they were there for you in your time of need and loved you all the same.

Mar 20, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Are your adoptive parents still alive? If so thats where you start first. Just remember that your opening wounds for them because they were there for you in your time of need and loved you all the same.
    Yes they are still alive. My adoptive parents are Mom and Dad. That will never change. I've known I was adopted as far back as I remember. They have told me all they know. They were also told my biological mom is deceased. My dad remembers her picture being on the front of the newspaper, but doesn't remember when. He said "You'll know who she is because you look just like her." Before I take the route of microphish I'm trying the other avenues.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 20, 2010, 05:31 PM

Then "mom and dad" should have had a copy of the orgianal court documents, have you asked them if they have their original documents from court ?

And have you contacted the attorney firm that did the adoption ( or have parents contact)

But there is no place to start except to hire an attorney to petion the court where the adoption took place to release the records to you, but don't expect it to happen
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Mar 22, 2010, 08:36 AM

Unless there is a medical emergency, you generally can NOT open closed records.

You can start a search, though--starting with the adoption agency used.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need to open adoption records on closed adoption [ 13 Answers ]

:confused: I am looking for my son I keep hitting roadblocks today I found out it was a closed adoption I need to know how to get these records opened

Finding records of closed adoption at least for medical history [ 3 Answers ]

I am wanting to find out what I can about my biological parents and half-brother. Not necessarily meet them, I just want to know what type of people they are/were. But if that is not possible I at least would like to know a medical history so I can know what things I may need to be aware of and...

Closed school records [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for Stratford Business School records- graduated 1988. It was located on James Street, Syracuse, NY The only thing I could find was a New York school request form that when mailed in would take 6 weeks to process. Do you have any suggestions on how to find somewhere to obtain a copy...

Opening closed adoption records [ 2 Answers ]

My father was adopted in the state of Texas, his records are sealed and I want to open them how can I do that if he is passed on?

Accessing Closed adoption records [ 3 Answers ]

I am a 38 yr with three sons of my own, and I am tired of not being able to tell them what nationality we are. I need to know how to obtain my adoption records. Does anyone know of an easy painless way to do this?

View more questions Search