Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 19, 2010, 04:03 AM
    Unknown bug
    It kind of looks like a cross between a helgramite, an earwig, and a centipede.

It's about half an inch long, with antenna about as long as it's body. It's brown on the top, and almost a silver on the bottom. It's VERY flexible, and can turn itself almost right around to it's tail. It can move fairly fast, but seems to prefer to sit still.

Right now, it's in a sandwich baggie on my kitchen table. I really just want to know what it is, and if it's potentially dangerous for cats.

Sorry if it's huge.

Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 04:14 AM

This beastie is called a silverfish, why I have no idea.

They shouldn't bother Edith or the kids, they're slow enough that they're not really a lot of fun for the kittens to pounce.

Check this link:
    How to Get Rid of Silverfish | eHow.com
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 04:17 AM

That is a Silverfish. Here are some pictures with links to info about them:
    silverfish - Google Search
    Experts

Mar 19, 2010, 04:32 AM

I was wondering if that's what it was.

OK, so they're more annoying than anything else. Since this is the first one I've seen, I can't really find the nest. It wasn't anywhere near any books, or anything else I think it could feed on. That one was crawling around my couch.

Do they do any real damage to anything?
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i was wondering if that's what it was.

ok, so they're more annoying than anything else. since this is the first one I've seen, i can't really find the nest. it wasn't anywhere near any books, or anything else i think it could feed on. that one was crawling around my couch.

do they do any real damage to anything?
    Indoors, one of their main food sources is the glue on wallpaper, books, and cardboard. Their leavings also stain papers. You might mention it to your landlord so the next time his bug man comes around he can get the attic treated.
    Experts

Mar 19, 2010, 04:55 AM

OK, will do. There's not really much I can do myself, anyway. It's one of the downsides of renting.
    Pest Control Expert

Mar 19, 2010, 12:21 PM
    RickJ agrees : Yep. I didn't notice you posted it while I was looking up the pics :)
    My house is covered, Boss. Thanks for the assist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What is this bug? [ 3 Answers ]

Sorry to ask another bug question, but ever since we moved, our backyard has become a bug museum. Anyone know what kind of bug this is? It was the size of my thumb and was crawling across my patio after the rainfall.

What is this bug? [ 6 Answers ]

Catsmine, hello I have not talked with you in some time but alas I have another question? I am still dealing with the same problem and came to conclusion that it is morgellons. I am still in process of educating myself with this disease though and I am seeing bugs again. What looks just like an ant...

Unknown bug [ 4 Answers ]

OK, quick question, my fiancée said there was a bug on her that at first she thought was just dirt, of a black fuzzie or something. When she went to pull it off, she said it cam off hard, and was like, attached to her, and she said it was like in her skin, and about half the size of an olive pit. ...

What is this bug? [ 18 Answers ]

So a month ago or soI was sleeping and at the corner of my eye, I saw something crawling. This little guy popped up http://i35.tinypic.com/2ppfs05.jpg I killed the darn thing. I didn't know what it was, So last night... Same thing happen... SAME ONE COMES ...

View more questions Search