What is the definition of a BILLION ?
    Recently I gave an answer on AMHD and an American gave his unequivocal
    Comment that I was wrong.
    Why do these definitions differ ?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 05:24 AM

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The long and short scales [1] are two of several different large number naming systems used throughout the world:

Long scale is the English translation of the French term échelle longue. It refers to a system of names in which every new term greater than million is 1,000,000 times the previous term: billion (from bi and million) means a million to the power of two or a million millions (1012), trillion (from tri and million) means a million to the power of three or a million billions (1018), and so on.

Short scale is the English translation of the French term échelle courte. It refers to a system of large number names in which every new term greater than million is 1,000 times the previous term: billion means a thousand millions (109), trillion means a thousand billions (1012), and so on.

There are other numbering systems which are neither long nor short scale such as the Chinese numbering system, the Indian numbering system, the Japanese numbering system, and the Korean numbering system. Many countries, including most in continental Europe, use the long scale.

For most of the 19th and 20th centuries, the United Kingdom uniformly used the long scale,[2] while the United States of America used the short scale,[2] so that usage of the two systems was often referred to as British and American respectively. In 1974, the government of the UK switched to the short scale, a change that is reflected in its mass media and official usage.[3][4][5][6] Although some residual usage of the long scale continues in the UK,[7] the phrases British usage and American usage are no longer accurate nor helpful characterizations. The two systems can be a subject of misunderstanding or controversy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I gain american citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I gain American citizenship if one parent has British and American Passports? I am a British Citizen and in my early twenties, am I able to still gain dual citizenship? My mother was born in America although she lives in the Uk. I also have an English cousin who married an American in the last...

Need ENGLISH manual not one that was translated from Chinese to English. [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a delstar 216, the manual is so incomplete in its instructions, need a proper ENGLISH one. Thanks, Linda Muir.

American(english) slang [ 7 Answers ]

Ima girl and I want to know what this phrase means, if a guy says this to you about another guy. He wants to snag you. I never heard snag used in that context. What in the world does this mean? I know a lot of slang, I am from the U.S. obviously I should know but I think that this is a new word....

View more questions Search