Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarkSkinGirl Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Mar 17, 2010, 02:48 PM
    Will compound my own high percentage of hydroquinone
    Has anyone had any success compounding hydroquinone on their own?

I just bought some dipropolyne glycol, hydroquinone powder, and will get some eucerin to make me some 10% hydroquinone of my own. I have been using hydro 4% since October '09, and while I have gotten some shades lighter I feel like its taking too long. And that I may need something stronger. Especially for my body like hands, stomach, feet

I will document my results once I start using it for everybody else
    nikkicute Posts: 733, Reputation: 35

Mar 18, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Thanks and good luck with your cream, looking forward to seeing how things workout for you.

Mar 19, 2010, 03:34 PM

Okay nobody is responding.

I am making 10% hydroquinone using dyglycol propelyne, and some hydroquinone powder from a photography shop. Now when I get really light you all will be responding then
    Rowena99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2010, 04:50 PM
    Do you mean Propylene glycol? Make sure that you have exactly the right stuff (pharmaceutical grade) because the wrong stuff can cause inflammation. If you are dark skinned, irritation and inflammation is the enemy because it will cause darkening in the irritated area!

10% from 4% in a huge jump. Try it on elbows and knees first, don't put it on your face until you're SURE your skin will take it! Also try Neutrogena's SPF 100 sunblock at all times. If it stings it means you have irritation and need to slow down on the hydroquinone.

A better, faster acting solution than the 10% would be to mix a 6-8% hydroquinone solution with Retin-A and a topical steroid like fluocinonide .5% (Lidex cream). You will lighten faster without the crazy irritation (enemy to dark girls!). You should see significant lightening with that combo within 3 weeks. It is not meant for long term use (will thin your skin over time) but you can then wear massive sunblock and possibly a mild 3% hydro will maintain your results.

Please be CAREFUL wear a mask, don't breath in the dust from the hydro, and wear goggles and gloves too.

I am a dark skinned black woman with melasma, and have completely corrected it with my own hydro (got sick of paying $$ from the dermatologist). I also lightened my face and neck about 4 shades, because they were darker than the rest of my body.

Be CAREFUL with your face, if you burn it you'll be really sorry.
    lighterrr Posts: 1,415, Reputation: 72
    Ultra Member

Mar 19, 2010, 05:11 PM

Also with HQ especially in high percentage it may work GREAT FOR A FEW MONTHS, then you'll start to see dark patches, where the skin does not lighten anymore, to be safe why not continue to use the lower percentages.

Mar 22, 2010, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowena99 View Post
    Do you mean Propylene glycol? Make sure that you have exactly the right stuff (pharmaceutical grade) because the wrong stuff can cause inflammation. If you are dark skinned, irritation and inflammation is the enemy because it will cause darkening in the irritated area!

10% from 4% in a huge jump. Try it on elbows and knees first, don't put it on your face until you're SURE your skin will take it! Also try Neutrogena's SPF 100 sunblock at all times. If it stings it means you have irritation and need to slow down on the hydroquinone.

A better, faster acting solution than the 10% would be to mix a 6-8% hydroquinone solution with Retin-A and a topical steroid like fluocinonide .5% (Lidex cream). You will lighten faster without the crazy irritation (enemy to dark girls!). You should see significant lightening with that combo within 3 weeks. It is not meant for long term use (will thin your skin over time) but you can then wear massive sunblock and possibly a mild 3% hydro will maintain your results.

Please be CAREFUL wear a mask, don't breath in the dust from the hydro, and wear goggles and gloves too.

I am a dark skinned black woman with melasma, and have completely corrected it with my own hydro (got sick of paying $$ from the dermatologist). I also lightened my face and neck about 4 shades, because they were darker than the rest of my body.

Yes I meant Propylene glycol

I just mixed it together and have been using it for the past few days. So far no bad reaction. I'm hoping it will really lighten my hands and body. I'll keep you guys updated
    mistyjane Posts: 271, Reputation: 59

Mar 22, 2010, 04:37 PM

Good luck girl.
    I really hope it works without any bad reaction.Be careful not to use something too high or too harsh.
    I also tried 4% HQ and it was really too slow... I understand that you want to try a higher percentage.
    Violaename Posts: 394, Reputation: 29

Mar 22, 2010, 04:39 PM

Heyyyyyyyy!!
    I am lost!!
    So so lost that I may not be found!
    I want to lighten my knees,elbows and knuckles first... Then,if I like the result,I will try it on my body.Can you take the process all over again?I have never bought,used or even seen any of these products!
    I am kind of scared of hyroquinone and steroids though... esp steroids because they cause stretch marks... anyway,please explain to me again and tell me where I can get them.
    Rowena99 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Mar 22, 2010, 06:07 PM

If you abuse steroids, they will thin your skin and can cause stretch marks. They are for SHORT TERM USE only, like 3 weeks. Using steroids are often abused because the lightening is so dramatic and quick that people get hooked and keep using it. They allow you to tolerate very high levels of hydroquinone, which is why my dermatologist had it my formulation. If you keep sunblock on (no breaks) and use a MILD hydro prep, or even a non-hydro lightener, you should be able to maintain your results.

I would not recommend cooking up your own stuff unless you are EXTREMELY good at research, following directions, etc.

PS I agree that 4% works pretty slowly, but there's a plus side: people notice it less, especially if you do it in winter. If you suddenly shift dramatically, you will invite a lot of unwanted questioning and criticism.

Mar 22, 2010, 08:37 PM
    If you abuse steriods, they will thin your skin and can cause stretch marks. They are for SHORT TERM USE only, like 3 weeks. Using steriods are often abused because the lightening is so dramatic and quick that people get hooked and keep using it. They allow you to tolerate very high levels of hydroquinone, which is why my dermatologist had it my formulation. If you keep sunblock on (no breaks) and use a MILD hydro prep, or even a non-hydro lightener, you should be able to maintain your results.

I would not recommend cooking up your own stuff unless you are EXTREMELY good at research, following directions, etc.

PS I agree that 4% works pretty slowly, but there's a plus side: people notice it less, especially if you do it in winter. If you suddenly shift dramatically, you will invite a lot of unwanted questioning and criticism.

Thank you.
    I hear u well.
    Lightenup2009 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2010, 03:07 PM

Hi darkskingirl where did you get your HQ powder? Would appreciate it if u could let me know. U can send me a message if you would prefer.
    glamoured Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2010, 06:24 AM

Hi darkskin,

Sorry but I have to worn you, I don't thing is a good idea.
    Mixing up products at home is dangerous for your skin.
    The best result is to be patient, having a light complexion in a short time is not safely in long term us. Trust me, try corolight crème and mix it with bio oil, a 6 weeks max. you will have result.
    * once a week just use only the bio oil with anything, this to feed/protect yr skin.

Keep me posted.
    Gr.
    glamoured

Apr 15, 2010, 08:35 AM

Golden_Girl,
    Please can you help out with this? I know you are good in analysis.
    There is this cream and here are its ingredients:
    Caglypanol Betachlorotene
    Clebetapanate
    Glytriceride
    Prophl Betacloride
    Carocetine
    Frafaceline( I figure it is fragance)

Is it dangerous? If you see the effect it has on my friends face... it is too amazing! Steroid??
    tigui Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2010, 12:22 PM

Hi, can you please tell me where I can get that 10% hydroquinone? I have few dark spot on my legs and nothing seen to work
    mechachar Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Jun 13, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Violaename View Post
    Golden_Girl,
    Please can you help out with this? I know you are good in analysis.
    There is this cream and here are its ingredients:
    Caglypanol Betachlorotene
    Clebetapanate
    Glytriceride
    Prophl Betacloride
    Carocetine
    Frafaceline( I figure it is fragance)

Is it dangerous? If you see the effect it has on my friends face...it is too amazing! Steroid???
    What's the name of the cream? Maybe I can do some research, If the cream is good and works I might not have to buy mono

Jun 14, 2010, 11:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mechachar View Post
    Whats the name of the cream? Maybe I can do some research, If the cream is good and works I might not have to buy mono
    The name is Topmoil.But I have NEVER seen it sold online.

Jun 14, 2010, 01:39 PM

Update:

It didn't work.

I used it for awhile and just stopped. I defintely need something more potent
    SouthAfricacute Posts: 140, Reputation: 18

Jun 16, 2010, 07:11 AM

When using any skin lightner you have. Exfoliate the darker your skin the thicker it is. So when your using hydroquinone it has to go through a lot of skin by the time it gets to your melanocytes its oxidized.

Find an exfoliater that works well to peel and exfoliate your skin to prepare it for lightening.
    10% is pretty high it should have lightened you some if not much.

Before embarking on any skin lightening journey ,exoliate the skin from sun damage,years of top skin layer that has just been sitting on your skin all you life.
    Your skin needs to be exfoliated before lightening or attempt,will and could be futile.
    The kligmans formula.
    By Doctor kligman has 5 %percent hydroquinone,and a steriod and tretinon.
    Chemical peels and exfoliating soaps,as well.
    SouthAfricacute Posts: 140, Reputation: 18

Jun 16, 2010, 07:18 AM

Before Skin lightening you should at least emabark at least a months worth of, Body exfoliation. Peels exfoliating soap.
    Deeo Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Jun 17, 2010, 05:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSkinGirl View Post
    update:

it didn't work.

i used it for awhile and just stopped. i defintely need something more potent
    Don't stop what you are doing, try and use the modified Kligman's formula, consisiting of = RA 0.1%, HQ4% & Neomycin Forte & apply 2x/day

RA: Retin A or Tretinoin. Vitamin A acid compounded into a cream or gel at different strengths ranging from 0.025% to 0.5% to 0.1%. There's also a 4% for people with specific skin conditions BUT not for most people's usage.

HQ: Hydroquinone. An agent compounded into topical creams or gels used to inhibt tyrosinase and gradually lighten skin.

NP: Neoprosone Forte Gel. A steroidal cream, containing betamethasone & neomycin, to be used only in conjunction with an equal amt of RA in order to prevent adversities such as skin thinning, stretch marks and acne-like eruptions.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

High percentage of hydroquinone [ 53 Answers ]

Hey guys, I started using hydroquinone in a very high percentage like last week. I have been applying it every morning and evening as a part of my skin whitening regimen, but I also apply it randomly throughout the day if I have time. I also use kojic acid soap once a day... Since I started using...

How do you make a hydroquinone compound? [ 1 Answers ]

I was just wondering how to mix together and make my own hydroquinone cream, I heard that hydroquinone is very flammable so putting on the stove or near heat is not an option, I wanted to compound a 10-20% cream has anyone ever done this before??

High Hydroquinone %? [ 9 Answers ]

So Im jumping on the hydroquinone, retin a bandwagon, being to the fact that I have like 4 tubes of retin a in my bathroom right now, so why not use it to its FULL potential? Backstory on what Im using: I am currently using the retin a with F&W Exclusive gel, I exfoliate with the F&W exfoliating...

How to compound pure hydroquinone [ 2 Answers ]

I have some 100% hydroquinone in a cream form. I was wanting to make a solution of 6-8% hydroquinone, I also wanted to include kojic acid at 4%, citric acid to keep it fresh probably .05-.005%, and a sunscreen I have. How would I do this? I was told to: use water as a catalyst, (1/2 teaspoon for...

Safe Percentage Of Hydroquinone [ 5 Answers ]

Hi guys, Ok here's the deal. My face is a light brown complexion BUT... my eyelids are still brown. I've tried kojic acid, makari, hypercreme and I can't for the love of god lighten my eyelids. So I thought 'ah a small percentage of hydroquinone should help''. I don't know of any safe creams...

View more questions Search