Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    482951 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 02:41 PM
    Credit card judgement laws
    Can a credit card co get a judgement without a serving summons that specifies date
    And time of the hearing , and must it be served by certified mail or in person for the
    State of Minnesota
    482951 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 02:49 PM
    Can a judgement by a credit company be issued without a summons
    Being delivered signatured mail or or in person
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 482951 View Post
    can a credit card co get a judgement without a serving summons that specifies date
    and time of the hearing , and must it be served by certified mail or in person for the
    state of minnesota
    Was a default judgment placed against you? Are you looking to have it dismissed on grounds of improper service?

I'm having trouble locating the exact law for Minnesota. I know in Wisconsin if you are unable to obtain service on the defendant, you can publish the summons in a few newspapers and that is considered proof of service.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 18, 2010, 10:00 AM

A default judgment can be obtained if the plaintiff claims they attempted legal service. If you believe that did not, then you can file a motion to Vacate the Judgment on the grounds of Improper Service. This will require the plaintiff to show that they obtained proper service.

Most summons do not have a hearing date on them. Instead, you are required to answer the summons within a set time that you intend to defend against the suit. Only then is a hearing scheduled.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card judgement? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been served a default in payment which is a summons to respone to the defaukt in 30 days I would like to know what will then happen after I respone to this notice they are getting a judgement agaist me do I need to call them and try to work out a payment plan I have serveral credit cards I...

Credit Card Judgement [ 5 Answers ]

I am having difficulties paying credit cards after my husband was hurt in Iraq, and was eventually medically retired from the Military. I had a phone call today from Chase, and she said she will place a judement on my car because I refused to "give up anything", and when I asked her what she...

Credit card judgement [ 5 Answers ]

What are the consequences of having a credit card judgement against you in the amount of $20,000

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I am being sued by citi bank for a little over 12,000(from 2 cards) I already acknowledged the debt was mine and that I owe it, they got all my bank information and w-2's already. I own no property and am a student that makes a little over 1,100 a month bartending. My rent etc. is around 750 a...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 credit card judgements against me and have recently filed for bankruptcy-do I need to file a motion to vacate these judgements or is it automatic with the discharge?

View more questions Search