Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djoser2001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 11:59 AM
    1099 Misc And F1 Visa , 8843 form ? Tax Payment
    I live in Georgia and I have a F-1 visa.

I got 1099 MISC form a month ago . Box number 7 is filled only.

My question is that

1)Should I fill out Form 8843? What is the advantage of filling this form?

2) Also, Should I fill out State 500 form? What is the advantage of filling this form?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 11:57 PM

For federal, you must file nonresident tax return and Form 8843. Also for 1099-misc income complete schedule C or C-EZ.

1099-misc. You must file your tax return if your income is $400 or more. You will report your income and business related expenses on schedule C or C-EZ (Form 1040). Then you put net income (or loss) on line 12 of Form 1040. This income is not subject to SE tax (SS tax and Medicare tax). You must pay income taxes.
    Even though schedule C treats you as a self employed, which may not be correct for you, this is how you must report this income. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Tax Filing Requirements for Non-Residents

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1099-MISC tax form for F-1 visa student [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all- I'm a new member here, and have a question about 1099-MISC tax form. I'm actually on my student F-1 visa, during the year 2008, I have a part time job as a music instructor. The music school sent me a 1099-MISC and I have earned about under 3500 and which was documented in box 7. I...

1099 Misc and W2 form (social security withheld), F1-visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello there! Will really appreciate if someone can help me with filing of my tax return for 2008. I am on F1-visa, Nationality Indian. I worked in a company as CO-OP (practical training) while I was in school. I graduated in summer and joined the same company on October as independent...

F1 visa student - self employment- 1099 tax form [ 13 Answers ]

I am a phd international student in Houston Texas. I am a citizen of Tunisia. I joined the program in fall 2005 and I am on campus employee. I am starting my second year now. I am filling W2 form for tax. I have an opportunity to gain extra income as self employed or independent contractor from...

I'm a part-time H1-B visa holder but have to file 1099 tax form? [ 1 Answers ]

I work in a small company (with employees less than 10 people). My boss and I understand and follow the minimum wages and hours required to maintain eligibility of part-time H1-B (my visa started in Oct 2005). However, the company does not withheld payroll taxes, so all employees file their...

F1 Visa & Form 8843 [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Up to now, I believed that when you are on F1 visa, it's mandatory for you to file form 8843 unless you qualify as a resident on the basis of 5 years stay in US. But, I read an FAQ as follow. What happens if the student doesnʼt file the form 8843? If Form 8843 is not filed, the alien...

View more questions Search