Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gayleneh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 11:28 AM
    Would there be black soot on the inside of the windows if carbon monoxide were presen
    Would there be black soot on the inside of the windows if carbon monoxide were present? We have a new furnace.
    tk03 Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Mar 18, 2010, 06:05 PM

If it is gas the answer is no. For every 100,000 btu's burnered you create 1 gallon of water. Hopefully all goes up the chimney. If spillage occurs the moisture will be on the inside of the home. Get a good CO detector to be safe.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 07:10 PM

Soot on the windows means that your gas is not burning completely, and since it is collecting on the windows I have to say that you do have carbondioxide in your home.

Since your furnace is new it almost has to do with the venting system, unless the furnace was not installed correctly.

In the city I live in the fire depaartment will make a carbon monoxide test for free at your home and unlike having your own alarm they will search you house and try to find out where it is coming into the house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We have black soot inside our oven and our furnace. What is the cause? [ 2 Answers ]

We have propane appliances and heat. Our furnace and oven are filled with black soot. What would cause this? My daughter mentioned letting the propane get low may be the cause. We did let it get low once about three fills ago. Can someone assist with this issue?

Carbon monoxide [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know what the normal carbon monoxide level is? I put in a carbon monoxide detector and it reads 50. I don't know if I should be concerned or not.

About carbon monoxide detectors [ 2 Answers ]

I was wondering about carbon monoxide detectors, if a gas cooker was left on for a long time would it be detected? Thanks

Soot and carbon monoxide [ 1 Answers ]

During the past few months I have fainted I believe it maybe something to do with my gas fire. Here is the reason why. In the past during the early fall and late spring when I have not wanted to put my central heating on, I have used my gas fire. On some occasions, I have left it on all night...

Carbon Monoxide [ 1 Answers ]

How does Carbon Monoxide's structure allow it to be used?

View more questions Search