Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tw.stanley Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 12:31 PM
    If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent t
    If your chimney is in the center of your house, do you need a chimney liner to vent the water heater?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 17, 2010, 03:18 PM

Hello T.W. Stanley, I work under UPC...

In my area of operation, you cannot vent water heater using masonry chimney - whether there is a liner or not. If you do, the hot fumes will cool down too fast and deadly gases will fall down towards the heater creating dangerous situation for occupants of the house. It is basic law of physics...

You could utilize your existing masonry chimney to vent your water heater only if you insert double wall vent into it and run it all the way to the roof terminating with vent cap. In this case, chimney is irrelevant, including lining, and acts only as a space to accommodate double wall gas vent.

Hot water heater needs to be vented using type "B" gas vent.

Remember Vitus Gerulaitis, the American professional tennis player from John McEnroy and Jimmy Connors era ? Well, Gerulaitis died when a "malfunction" in his gas heater venting system caused odorless, poisonous carbon monoxide gas to seep into the guesthouse where Gerulaitis was sleeping, causing his death. That's the same gas you are dealing with.

We all are learning from mistakes of others. Let's not repeat them...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2010, 05:52 PM

I forget the magic number of efficiency. Inefficient furnaces and water heaters could be vented together. High efficiency furnaces cannot.

Water heaters cannot alone be vented without a liner. A liner is a fancy name for small diameter flex tube. A smaller diameter tube has a higher velocity.

Part of the issue is freezing. Without the furnace warming up the chimney, it's possible for the chimney to freeze. The high efficiency furnaces just can't get the chimney warm enough anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chimney Liner Necessary [ 1 Answers ]

I have just had a gas fire removed from what was originally used as an open fire. I want to know if I need a chimney liner and how do I know if there is one already there? We would like to burn logs and coal.

Do I need to use an UL Listed Liner for my chimney? [ 2 Answers ]

I was told that I need a new liner for my chimney. I have received 2 different quotes. One is 20% higher because the contractor says that he uses a UL listed liner while the other one is not. Is it necessary to have a UL listed liner or is it a marketing ploy?

Chimney Liner [ 1 Answers ]

I've been told I have to get a chimney liner. Have an 8" opening on burner.. one company said i need a 7" liner, and another said a 6" liner... I'm concerned about safey and health. Please advise what I should do. Grateful.

Chimney Liner Needed? [ 8 Answers ]

We have a 1922 house with a chimney that goes through the center (no fireplace). I had the furnace inspected (furnace and water heater new in 2001) and it turned out fine. But, the guy said that our water heater tube and furnace tube need to connect and feed into a big hole in the chimney - then...

Is a chimney liner necessary? [ 5 Answers ]

We will be installing a new mid-efficiency furnace and air-conditioner. We are told that we will need a chimney liner. The old furnace is still using the chimney, but the new furnace will have a vent going out to the side of the house and the only appliance that will still utilize the old chimney...

View more questions Search