Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimberc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 09:16 AM
    My toilet tank sweats. What causes this and how do I stop it?

I live in a walk out basement house, underground only on one side. My toilet tank sweats like a cold drink on a hot day, only it does it regardless of the house temp. Why does this happen and how can I stop it?
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 09:25 AM

Sweating of toilet tank happens when very cold water fills warm tank or vice-versa.
    kimberc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 09:33 AM

How can I stop it?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Mar 16, 2010, 09:41 AM

The cause is moisture. In the winter I notice that when my home has more humidity and the furnace does not run as much such as now in March when the weather is warmer in the daytime and colder at night my tank will sweat. I usually just put an old turkish bath towel in the area where the tank drips to save my carpeting from getting moist. I did use a toilet tank cover and all that did was get wet and start to smell so I discontinued using that. If you really are bothered about this problem you could use a dehumidifier near your bathroom or be sure to use your bathroom fan when taking a bath or shower and letting it run for 1/2 hour after you bathe. This problem does mysteriously clear itself up in the summer when the air conditioner is in use though. I just replace the towel every 2 weeks and put another dry one in it's place.

It's basically caused by the intake very cold water chilling down the ceramic tank and the tank reacting to the room's moisture.

There are tank liners you can purchase to supposedly fix this problem but I bought that pricey gizmo years ago and it didn't work for me.
    parttime Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 113
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 11:12 AM

Kimberc, have your plumber install a mixing valve on the cold line going to the toilet, it will add a little hot water to stop the sweating. Good luck

This is what the tempering valve looks like.
    Attached Images

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 11:26 AM

Parttime gave you the correct solution. Let us know, how you did.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2010, 11:43 AM

Here is how to install the mixer valve see the image below, Thanks.

John
    Attached Images

speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Mar 17, 2010, 04:39 PM

Several things come to mind. There are four ways to prevent sweating. Sweating is caused by the warm air condensing on the cold tank. So you can blot up the sweat with one of those fuzzy tank covers or you could increase the air conditioning to the bathroom thus cutting out the warm air in the room. Another would be to line the tank and insulate it. Finally, you could tee off a lavatory hot water supply with a mixing valve,(see image) to control the flow as suggested. That's about all I know. Cool the air, heat the water or soak it up . Good luck and thank you for rating my reply. Tom
    Attached Images

letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Mar 17, 2010, 06:47 PM

There is a manufacturer that make a tank that has a styrofoam liner just for this purpose. Or you can send in the model of you tank and they will build you a tank liner.

PlumbingSupply.com - The ThermoSafe Sweatstopper - toilet tank liner insulation kits - help prevent your toilet from sweating
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Mar 18, 2010, 01:31 PM

Here is some more info, open the link below, Thanks.

John

FAQs ... Frequently Asked Questions about Toilets

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet tank doesn't refill. No water in tank make it flush [ 17 Answers ]

My toilet was working properly before tonight. :p There was no slow leak sound; nothing. Now when the handle is pressed, nothing happens. I opened up the tank and found there was no water in the tank. :( I've been searching the Internet for answers, but haven't found any that address this...

Toilet Flushing: tank drains, toilet doesn't flush, brand new toilet. [ 4 Answers ]

I read the other postings, and most of the problems came in with old toilets. Mine is brand new (within a year old) and I just moved in to my new place. The condo has 2 identical toilets and the other flushes just fine. I have mimicked the settings of the working toilet and still can't get my...

Pressure from toilet valve will not fill toilet tank [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently had a soft water installation put in. The shut off valve is conveniently close to the garage where the clean water tank was installed. Anyhow after the installation was completed pressure worked great in every room except the master bathroom toilet. The dual sink, the shower, and...

Toilet tank lever breaks when I try to flush toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem trying to flush my toilet. When attempting to flush the plastic tank lever often breaks and when I use the metal tank level they often bend. The only way to flush the toilet is by removing the top and pulling up the tank ball lift by hand. What can I do to solve this problem. Thank...

Toilet tank [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I needed a new toilet tank and I've put it on the bowl. My problem is now when it is flushed, the flapper will not stay open long enough to drain water from bowl. When the lever is pulled, the flapper opens water starts to leave the tank, but then the flapper closes and the tank fills back...

View more questions Search