Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Mar 15, 2010, 06:39 PM
    Tickets on private property
    Although my case is done and over (dismissed, not guilty), I just thought of something as I was looking through my paperwork... I didn't think police could give a traffic ticket on private property? What are the basic guidelines/rules of this issue?

I was given a regular traffic ticket (from an officer's "book" of tickets), the same ticket form that can be used for speeding or any other traffic offense. On the ticket, there is an area in which the officer checks a corresponding box as to where the incident took place-1 lane, 2 lane, undivided, divided and ramp. That is all the choices. On mine, the "undivided" box was checked. I was, however, on private property (a parking lot). My car was off, keys out, needless to say NOT moving/running. Well, the violation I was charged with is NOT a moving violation anyway but I just wanted to be clear.

I don't know why I didn't think about this before. But maybe this was part of the reason for the dismissal, not sure.

Just wondering! Thanks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 15, 2010, 07:16 PM

1. depends on the state
    2. in some states the owner of a parrking lot can assign the police rights to enforce traffic on their lot.

And it depends on the ticket, if it is for improper tag, muffler, window tint,DUI and some other charges, here in GA of course we can write a ticket on private property.

And the "ticket" is a uniform citatian book, which is basically a summons to appear in court, which you can waive by paying a fine for some offenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SC Private Property Accident Directed by Property owner personnel [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, Here is my question and some back ground information. I was on private property when there was a medical emergency in progress. There were no signs, no alert, and no sirens. I was not aware of the situation. A person in uniform was blocking the property's exit and starts directing me...

How to handle Accident and Traffic tickets on private property [ 2 Answers ]

I was in an accident on private property, I changed lanes in an area beyong where orange barrels were set up for traffic flow and did not see the other party, they hit me. We had to wait some time while the county and city tried to figure out jurisdiction, we were the 1st accident on this...

Private property. Whose at fault? [ 4 Answers ]

On Friday, May 9 I drove to work and left my car in their parking lot (private property). When I left work I entered my car from the front so I did not notice the back of the car and then drove directly home. I got out of the car and walked past my car at home and immediately noticed that someone...

Tickets on private preperty [ 4 Answers ]

If you received a traffic ticket on private property, paid the ticket and later found out that the police had no right to even write the ticket, can you get your money back?

No insurance on private property. [ 1 Answers ]

I rented a moving truck, at time of rental I purchased insurance through the rental agency. I was involved in an accident at a gas station in Ohio. I was making a right turn out of the station and I had my right turn signal on. This guy pulls up on my right side, in my blind spot. I did not see...

View more questions Search