Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    leeevinnn Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 01:15 PM
    Identify this rock/crystal?
    Very fragile, will break if dropped, or even bent slightly, discovered a 1 inch thick, over 50 inches long sheet of this buried, and STUCK to the dirt of a hill in California. Shiny if you cannot notice on and almost has stuff like crystal bars sticking up out of it. IMAGE: http://i41.tinypic.com/6xu90m.jpg, Can someone tell me what type of crystal, or rock this is, and if it has any value? Thanks.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Mar 15, 2010, 01:26 PM

The image didn't come through. Can you try posting it again?

Mar 15, 2010, 01:37 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/6xu90m.jpg

Copy and paste the above into your browser, it should work.
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 01:45 PM

There, I fixed it for you.

It looks like desert rose celenite, also known as rock gypsum. It's really hard to tell from the picture. You might be able to get a better one by placing it on a smooth, plain-colored, non-reflective surface (like a table with a table cloth over it) in a well-lit area.

If it IS desert rose celenite, then it's not worth much. You could try taking it to a local pagan or metaphysical store or other shop that sells crystal specimens.

One way to tell is to submerge a small piece in water. Selenite will dissolve, turning into a sand-like silt at the bottom of the container.

Mar 15, 2010, 01:54 PM

No I let the crystal soke in water for a couple days to clean it a little. It did not disolve. And how much would this "Desert rose celenite? I am working on another picture right now.

Mar 15, 2010, 02:04 PM

Pictures:

Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

Most places that I've been to sell a small (around the size a quarter or just a bit bigger) piece of desert rose for about $.50-$.75.

Hopefully you can get a better picture up and someone will be able to help you identify what you found.

Also, what color is it? From the picture, it looks tan. I can't tell if it's more of a gray-tan or red-tan, though.

Mar 15, 2010, 02:13 PM

Tan, and gray, I have no idea how to make the pictures better.
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 02:24 PM

It's impossible to tell from those pictures what it is. It may, very well, be a composite rock. That is, a rock made up of several types of rocks and minerals. If that's the case, then they may not be a name for it, and it's probably not worth much.

Is there somewhere around you that would be able to identify them? A store that sells crystal specimens? A college with a geology department?

Most likely it's not worth much. I'm curious now, though. I'm not sure I've ever seen a rock quite like that, before.

Mar 15, 2010, 02:27 PM

I'm getting a much more high quality picture right now off my Cam Corder.

Mar 15, 2010, 02:36 PM

Ok here it is:

Mar 15, 2010, 02:43 PM

Here's more HQ pics:

Mar 15, 2010, 02:44 PM

Sorry the images are so large, can't fix it, Just use full screen.
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 03:32 PM

It's gorgeous. My guess would be it's a simple quartz formation.

While I don't think you'll be able to make much, if any, money off it (it's full of impurities), I think it's an amazing find.

Quartz is, very possibly, the most common crystal on the planet. It comes in every color of the rainbow, and then some. Clear quartz was sometimes used as a cheap alternative to diamonds, before CZ was invented. It's found in composite rocks, like granite.

Mar 15, 2010, 03:52 PM

Estimated amount of money for it?
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 03:54 PM

No idea. It really depends on who you find willing to buy it. I can't see you getting more than about $10-$15 for it, though. Especially if you sell it to someone planning on reselling it.

Mar 15, 2010, 04:03 PM

I have a whole bucket full of it.
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 04:07 PM

The only way you're going to find out, is to find someone willing to buy it.

Mar 15, 2010, 04:11 PM

Ok. One last question, is there a way to make it cleaner or more purified?
    Experts

Mar 15, 2010, 04:13 PM

no. the impurities are part of the crystal's structure.

Kind of like baking bread with sand in it. You can't get the sand out without ruining the bread.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crystal Pendelum? [ 13 Answers ]

I am not sure if this makes any sense, but I heard if you hold a pendulum on a chain or string and it moves in circles w/out you moving your wrist or fingers it means that there are spirits,ghost,or evil in your home? I have done this several times I honestly don't move it intentianly, I ask it to...

System crystal [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, When A computer is powered up, what component on the system board gets the first electric charge? Is it the system clock (system crystal)? Or is it the CPU itself? Thanks

60s and 70s country rock and bluegrass - 3 songs to identify [ 4 Answers ]

Okay, I've actually got 3 songs - two of which I know the song, but not who is singing this version and one I don't know anything about. These songs are from an old tape someone made my brother in law about 20 years ago and I'm trying to get them all onto a CD for his Christmas present. They...

Crystal in your tooth? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi my names maddie and I'm 12 for my 13th birthday I want to get a crystal in my tooth.. . But not like a carat diamond/crystal just a nice looking long lasting quality one if you know of anyone please tell me Or any facts ont his How much it would cost etc

View more questions Search