Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sockedin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 02:14 AM
    US income tax, married, foreign wife
    Dear Experts,

I am an American residing in the US, and I recently got married (Dec 09) to my Chinese wife. She is a Chinese citizen, and all of her income was (and still is) earned in China. We have begun the green card process, but for 2009 her only "official" connection to the US was through her marriage to me. I will be choosing married filing separately for my 2009 income taxes. Does my wife need to file at all? If she does, is the $91K exclusion applicable to her income, even though she is not a US citizen or resident alien? Your insights would be most appreciated.

_S
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 02:16 AM

For 2009, you can file as married filing separately, married filing jointly or head of household if you have a qualifying dependent.

A U.S. citizen or resident can file joint return with a foreign alien spouse even when spouse has never been to the U.S. Your U.S. Tax Return: Filing Status for Married
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 16, 2010, 03:03 AM

You have a choice depending entirely on how much money your wife made in China.

1. Since you are a US citizen your wife can elect to be treated as a US resident for tax purposes under Sec 6013(g). Thus she may use the Exclusion up to $91,400 + the housing exclusion if that applies.
    She must obtain an ITIN by filing Form W7 and submitting it with your joint return.
    Here you get the benefit of an increase in your standard deduction and one more exemption.

2. In 2009 your wife was a nonresident alien. All her income was sourced outside of the US. She has no filing requirement.
    sockedin Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2010, 11:44 AM

Thanks MukatA and Five Rings! There is a lot of good information there. I especially needed to learn the term 'nonresident alien'. The pointer to Sec 6013(g) was quite useful. It first explicitly says we cannot file jointly, and then later says we can elect to treat my wife as a resident and file jointly. Without your guidance I would no doubt be going in circles on the Web.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 18, 2010, 12:00 AM

On the joint return both must report worldwide income. If you paid taxes in the foreign country, you will claim credit for taxes paid in the foreign country by filing Form 1116 or can file form 2555 Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.
    Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    vadim0001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 09:02 AM
    I have a similar situation, and Mukata's answers here and in another thread are very useful, thank you.

However, a question remains: if "Married filing separately," I still have to enter my spouse's ITIN, which she does not have. Any solution, please?
    vadim0001 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2010, 09:02 AM
    I have a similar situation, and Mukata's answers here and in another thread are very useful, thank you.

However, a question remains: if "Married filing separately," I still have to enter my spouse's ITIN, which she does not have. Any solution, please?
    jaydoc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 02:32 AM

Hey vadim0001, which thread are you talking about.. I'm almost in the same situation. So Maybe I could read it and get more understanding too. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 6, 2010, 11:17 AM
    If you file Married Filing Separately with a foreign wife, put your wife's name on the return and the letters "NRA" where her SSN would go, then MAIL the return.

A bit unorthodox, but perfectly legal, and it DOES allow you to claim her personal exemption.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien with foreign income and nonresident wife [ 4 Answers ]

I am on F1 visa and I am considered a resident alien because I stayed in US from 1997 to 2001 on F1 visa and beginning 2007 until now also on F1 visa. In 2008, I earned income in the US and was still receiving income from my home country. My wife is working in US but she's a nonresident. We have...

Foreign country income & NJ income tax [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I use to live and work in Saudi Arabia. I'm now retired and live in the state of NJ. I receive retirement benefits from my company in Saudi Arabia. Should this be included on my NJ Tax return?

If my wife and I file a joint tax return, can we each exclude foreign earned income? [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I both live and work outside the US, and until this year have filed separately, with each of us taking the foreign earned income exclusion. This year we're considering filing jointly, but it's not clear to us how doing so would affect the amount of foreign earned income that can be...

Married filing joint file tax returns, if my wife is working in foreign country [ 4 Answers ]

Am I eligible to file tax returns in married filing joint status, if my wife is working in foreign country (i.e. in INDIA) for whole year 2009? If yes, what are the documents I need to file tax returns as married filing joint? Please assist me.

Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 [ 14 Answers ]

Can anybody suggest where to include Foreign Income and Income Tax in 1040 form. I am basically dual status alien but want to make "Resident for Full year" choice which necessiates to include my worldwide wages. I am married. To make this choice what suppose to provide to IRS and how to...

View more questions Search