Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ZifahMirak Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2010, 01:03 AM
    Form 2555
    I was in the US previously on Feb 28'2007. After completion of the assignment, I returned to India on this date
    After which, I returned to USA on another assignment on July 5'2009. I was in India continuously from the duration of March 1 '2007 to July 04 ' 2009.

As per the data points given above, do I qualify as a Bonafide resident of India, which will enable me to file the form 2555-EZ to claim foreign income exclusion. My income (from Indian salary) for the period of Jan 2009-June 2009 is below the $91,000 threshold.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 02:22 AM

Are you married? If not, you will file dual status tax return for 2009.
    You are nonresident up to July 4, 2009 and resident after that since you have completed SPT in 2009. Your U.S. Tax Return: Substantial Presence Test
    Five Rings Posts: 459, Reputation: 7

Mar 16, 2010, 03:21 AM

As MukatA correctly points out, you are dual status in 2009.

Perhaps you are confused by the wording in the 1040NR instructions. In your case, you are an Indian national who worked in India during the first part of 2009. Since personal service income is sourced where the work is performed your Indian income is not exposed to US taxation (even if you worked for an American company and even if your salary was deposited in an American bank). Only your US sourced income from July on is taxable in America.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changed Jobs and form 2555 Foreign Earned Income [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I changed jobs during the tax year and have been working outside the US. In filling out form 2555 there is only room to enter one company name and address. How do I fill it out since I worked at two separate jobs during the tax year. Thanks, Unsu:confused:

Form 2555-EZ [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have the following confusion with regards to bonafide resident test for foreign earned income exclusion. I was not residing physically in foreign country X for the tax year nor did I stay in country X for more than 330 days. But, my wife is currently residing in country X so...

Form 2555 & Form 1116 [ 2 Answers ]

Dear All - Can a taxpayer, who is a Lawful Permanent Resident of US, file Form 2555 - Foreign Income Exclusion for the income earned by him in another country (outside US) and claim Foreign Tax Credit for the same income? What are the reporting requirements to file Form 2555? Which one of...

Using 2555 was correct? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi- I'm (South) Korean citezen and I started to work from July 2007 with L1 visa and my wife and daughter (2 years) came into the States at August 2007 with L2 visa. Since I visited US for 1.5 months in May 2007 with B1 visa, I thought that I became a resident alien at the end of 2007. My wife...

Form 3903 and Form 2555 [ 1 Answers ]

1) Can I claim moving expenses for my wife's air travel. She is not working here. 2) For form 2555 - What is Bona fide test. I am resdent of India. I came to USA in Jan 2007 and in 2006 travelled to China (late 2006) for 90 days. So am I Bona fide resident of India. 3) In form 1116 what...

View more questions Search