Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Mar 14, 2010, 12:50 PM
    Adding a backup sump pump
    My sump pump runs regularly from February to May. I have a generator just in case the power goes out, but if I'm asleep or out of town when the power goes out, water damage is a possibility.

I'm thinking of hooking up a battery backup sump pump. I want to run a separate discharge pipe for this pump just in case the main pump gets overwhelmed.

The discharge pipe from my current sump pump is buried underground and connects to the storm sewer by the street, which my town allows. Do you think I should bury the pipe for the second pump too? I would uncover the old pipe and run the second one right along side it.

BTW... I am grinding down a stump next month and I have to plant new seed anyway.

Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 14, 2010, 02:09 PM

Since this would be only back up pump, it would not be running as often as the main pump. You could terminate the second discharge somewhere on the side of your house. But, if you want to be diligent, and like to have things done "the right way" - run definitely run it all the way to the City storm drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Which backup sump pump should I get for my basement? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm trying to find a battery backup sump pump for my basement. I have a fairly shallow pit only about 17inches deep with stone under it preventing me from digging deeper. I have a high water table which causes my 1/2HP main pump to turn on often during heavy storms and the low depth of the pit...

Backup Water in Basement from Sump Pump [ 2 Answers ]

I had a house built 18 years ago over a wooded area along with 9 other homes in a culdasac. Each time we loose electricity, our basement floods within 2-4 hours. We have a sump pump and have burned up 3 pumps thus far. I believe it is possible a spring is under my home but not sure how I can...

Tieing in a backup sump pump to existing copper discharge pipe [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know if I can tie in a backup sump pump into an existing copper discharge pipe of 1.5 inches. The back up pump comes with a "y" connector made of PVC. How do I connect the PVC connector into the copper discharge pipe? Thanks.

Improper venting, backup from sump pump to vent pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Help! We moved into an old house, our plumbing vent is about 4 ft. from basement floor. Every time we use kitchen sink or bathtub, it backs up into vent pipe. Also, our sump pump backs up into vent. We have tried to snake it and also poured drain cleaner down every drain. I know the vent should be...

Adding a backup water heater [ 3 Answers ]

I have 2 gas tankless water heaters. I need to add a backup of either electric or propane to help with the winter strain of a gas fireplace, heat, etc. Is this an expensive process?

View more questions Search