Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bobanis Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Garage door opens only a few inches
    My rolling panel garage door only opens about 6 inches and then stops - does not go back down, just stops. I tried to spray the rollers w/WD 40 and see that that's not the thing to do... but now I'm stuck not being able to get in. There is nothing in the way of the sensors - although I do believe that they are primarily for safety when the door closes. HELP!
    Thanks
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 11:10 AM
    The first thing is most openers have a release chain on the trolley to allow manual use. Work it a few times and see if something catches where it stops. An opener is not the solution to a hard to work door. If you don't find anything, look for a hole in the back of the opener with a nut inside. It is the clutch switch adjustment. Tighten it up a little and see if the opener works.

Nov 30, 2006, 05:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bobanis
    My rolling panel garage door only opens about 6 inches and then stops - does not go back down, just stops. I tried to spray the rollers w/WD 40 and see that that's not the thing to do...but now I'm stuck not being able to get in. There is nothing in the way of the sensors - altho I do belive that they are primarily for saftey when the door closes. HELP!
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention that the problem with my garage door only occurs in the morning... very weird. I live in CA so freezing isn't a problem. Why would my panel garage door only open less than 1 foot - whether I use the remote, wall mount or even a car programmed opener. I come home from work and the door opens 100%.
    I don't get the timing issue here.

Nov 30, 2006, 05:34 PM
    I forgot to mention that the problem with my garage door only occurs in the morning... very weird. I live in CA so freezing isn't a problem. Why would my panel garage door only open less than 1 foot - whether I use the remote, wall mount or even a car programmed opener. I come home from work and the door opens 100%.
    I don't get the timing issue here.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 30, 2006, 05:52 PM
    Well it may not get cold enough to freeze, but it could get just cold enough to stiffen up the grease in the morning adding just enough drag to stop it. Earlier this fall, I had to tighten mine up a little. It is a Genie screw drive and may be more sensitive to cold temperatures.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage door [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter drove my truck into my garage door.I have allstate. They said that even though I have full coverage, That the garage door is not covered. Since it is my house and my car. I have property damage, and the work's Is this true? Do I have have to pay for the garage door?

Garage door [ 2 Answers ]

We do not have a garage door opener, but always open it by hand. Last week one side fell out of the track and I had to slacken the spring to fix it. The door is centred and is not rubbing against one side... so I'm assuming it is just the spring. Now that I put the spring back the door is very...

Garage door replacement [ 1 Answers ]

I will be replacing my garage door myself, and I have been told that it is too hard for me to replace. I have also been told that I don't need to relieve the tension on the springs. Can you help with this concern.

Garage Door [ 2 Answers ]

I am having a problem with my garage door. It does not matter what remote I use or If I use the key pad. The door will stop opening 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of the way from opening up. Light works, and if you hit the button again, the door does go back down. If I keep trying, it will eventually open all the...

View more questions Search