Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    together4ever Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 03:49 PM
    How can I file for a warrant on my daughters father for child support
    My daughter's father is taking me to court for visitation rights... but I don't understand how the main reason he is illegal but beside that he doesn't ''provide nor support'' her. Since 2006 I've received maybe a total of 8 payments of child support and owed over 4000.00 and I have called child support but am ready to try what ever I can do because if he gets the ''right'' to see her then he should have to support her also.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 13, 2010, 05:04 PM

Unfortunately the law doesn't view it that way. Most states, including Ohio, keep support and visitation as separate issues and treat them totally separately. So he can apply for and get visitation despite his being in arrears on support.

What you can try to do is hammer the courts to enforce the support order, to the point of putting him in jail if he doesn't pay.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 05:06 PM

Merely oweing child support has nothing to do with visit rights. He can and has rights to visit the child. If you are not allowing him visits ( if they are court ordered) you could be in as much issue or trouble as he could be for non payment.

Is there already a child visit order in place.
    If not he will be awarded one.

Next you can not "issue a warrant" depending on the state merely being behind 4000 may not be enough to be arrested, he could lose his drivers license. You can take him back to court for contempt in a counter claim to his vists, but these are two separate issues.

He may or may not be found in contempt, but may have to agree to some payment plan, he will although be given visits with his kids
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 05:06 PM

As Scott said, support and visitation/custody are two separate issues. He is the father; he is entitled to see her. If you want to fight visitation you have to PROVE he is a danger to the child.

I would also file for a new support order and, if he has not paid in accordance with an existing order, request that he be held in contempt of Court.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking to see if ks from buffalo has a warrant for child support 19,000 [ 10 Answers ]

In his 30"s police are doing nothing

How do I get my daughters father to sign off his rights he does not pay child support [ 3 Answers ]

How do I get my daughts father to sign off his rights he does not pay child support on her never has he also has never seen her but 3 times

How do I file for child support if the father is in a different state? [ 2 Answers ]

I had a baby 7 months ago. I was only with her father for 2 months. He insists on a DNA test, that I do not have the money for, and he wouldn't even help pay for one. I tried to make a mutual agreement with him , such as us splitting the costs and when he has the confirmation he's the father , he...

Is it possible to file abandonment against my daughters father? [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter is going to be 4 in a few months and her father has been in and out of her life. The thing is I have his phone number and I know where he lives but I have tried to call him and text him and he won't return my calls or texts. I know he gets them because he tells his ex of his 3 month...

When you owe child support and get a warrant out for yourself [ 2 Answers ]

I was just wondering if you owe $500 to the baby's father in child support do and have a warrant in that state like Michigan but you live in Ohio does the warrant following you into Ohio too?

View more questions Search