Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommasmom Posts: 33, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2010, 08:21 AM
    Experience? Does my previous work count as actual bookkeeping experience?
    I have done work that required , I kept all records for a friends pharmacy delivery company mileage, orders,submitting this info for payment from company's and reconciling company's statements with her stubs to make sure she was paid correctly for all work she did. Also did similar work for a medical transportation company. As well as keeping all reciepts for filing taxes. At my most recent job I was required to keep a journal for accounts recievable,and a sales log,track payments from customers and balance out books after each shift.my question is since the job I was technically hired for wasn't bookkeeping but all my duties were that of the bookkeeper can I use this as work experience in bookkeeping field?

Mar 13, 2010, 08:57 AM

Can anyone help?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 12:21 PM

Any experience you have in that field, and it is documented by previous employers can be used as work experience when seeking another job.

Tick

Mar 13, 2010, 05:05 PM

Hey tickle you seem so helpful you are answering all my questions!
    That's the thing both businesses paid undertable ( I still paid taxes on it ) they just didn't take taxes out ! And both businesses are no longer in business! It was more of being A GOOD friend helping out trying to get some experience.

Mar 13, 2010, 05:05 PM

Thanks tickle
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 05:09 PM

You need to have some patience and not expect someone to have answered within 36 minutes. Everyone here is volunteers with real lives and sometimes it can be even a few days before someone gets to your question. We're aware that you want an answer - everyone does.

In fact, I personally go to the oldest posts first, so I get to "bumped" ones even later.

Your resume should consists of an explanation of the work you did on a job. If you did this work, it's on your resume. Make sure that you explain what you did, and not just say you did "bookkeeping." That would be misleading because you're not doing the entire scope of bookkeeping. So do make sure you describe what those duties were -- like "Was responsible for daily sales log and tracking customer accounts." Brief but the basics of what you did.
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2010, 05:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommasmom View Post
    hey tickle you seem so helpful you are answering all my questions!
    thats the thing both businesses paid undertable ( i still paid taxes on it ) they just didn't take taxes out ! and both businesses are no longer in business! it was more of being A GOOD friend helping out trying to get some experience.
    It doesn't matter if the companies are out of business. Sometimes that's even better if it can't be checked on. If it's on the resume, it's legit. (If you want those places as a reference cause you think it'll help, then ask if they can be used as a reference even though the company is out of business, like your friend. Just don't say it was a friend.)

BTW, if you paid taxes but they weren't taken out, that wasn't under the table. That's like self-employment. (Though the IRS might not have considered it self-employment but that's another story.) But for the sake of a resume, it doesn't matter about your taxes - they care about your experience, not your taxes.

Mar 14, 2010, 08:58 PM

I was referring to my school that takes the week not any of you on here you have been great and answered fast as far as I have experienced on here! It has been so helpful to me to have people who have already been through this kind of thing to guide me. I am currently trying to find a temp or acc. Payable type entry level now but not even sure were to look no listings are in the local paper here just fastfood and scams! Its so frustrating! I search monster and career builder, snagit, All the usual but nothing yet I'm not giving up it has only been 2 months since I started looking. Va is just to broke to have job openings we have ceo's flipping burgers at mcd's? Its bad here
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2010, 12:31 PM

If jobs are that scarce, it creates a situation where it's easy for employers to be picky. They have plenty to choose from, to get much closer to exactly what they want. It does make it difficult. On the other hand, I'd almost think temporary places might do decent -- simply cause I know a lot of places, especially small businesses, are just afraid to hire in the current climate, especially with the uncertainty of this health care bill and such. Maybe it's less scary for them to hire temps in the meantime, don't know.

Like it or not, you may have to flip burgers for a while just to keep up money for school, and then hope things are a lot better by time you get out. Hey, who knows, you might even work into management in the meantime.

In a way I'm lucky I'm in education, cause everyone's going to school.

Mar 19, 2010, 05:28 AM

I am half way through my certification classes already, my grade average is 94%. I am not sure but I am being told I need a 2 yr college after this but I am not sure what I am supposed to take exactly do I take basic bookkeeping again or is there some other bookkeeping I need to take? I don't want to go to cpa level ! Way too much hassel I want to keep it at the bookkeeping level I like keeping the records an sorting out the numbers an things like that but not in terested in doing a cpa's job. ( you never hear about the bookkeeper in the news its always the cpa accountant)
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2010, 12:31 AM

I'm not a CPA. Contrary to popular belief, not all accountants out there are CPA's, so why should all bookkeepers have to be one? Working privately for a company isn't being a CPA - it does, after all, stand for certified public accountant.

As for the classes, I don't know since I don't know what your certification will consist of. My opinion is also not that of prospective employer's, as should be obvious by now. I don't know what they expect of you. And the local climate and the school you're attending have a LOT to do with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work experience degree [ 4 Answers ]

Will you tell me whether the Concordia college and university www.concordia-college.net] which offers work experience degrees is recognized world wide? Or is there any other globally accredited university which offer work experience degree?

Work experience- coroner? [ 1 Answers ]

I am only studying A Levels at the moment and am looking for any opportunities for work experience in the legal side as would like to become a coroner. I am only 17 but wondered whether anyoe knew o had any ideas of where I coud look fr work experience?? Thanks- would be a great help!! :) x

Some education + work experience enough? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi - I'm new here. My question is this... I have recently returned to college after many (many) years. I have worked in the corporate world for quite some time, and was in the industry of my choosing (consumer products) for a number of years. I was doing the work that I enjoyed, but always under...

Work experience technical degrees [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... this is kalyan, I want to earn a work experience technical degree with my experience.

View more questions Search