Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    [email protected] Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2010, 07:35 PM
    Concrete spalling
    We had our concrete sidewalk laid last August by a hired contractor. Halfway through the pour it started to rain, actually downpour. They tried to cover it with plastic but the surface was already heavily pockmarked. They than had to wait until the rain stopped about an hour and proceeded to try and get the pockmarks out. The surface turned out very pebble. Now 6 months later the whole top is flaking off and the rocks are starting to show.What recommendations do you have? Can this be repaired? It seems like water running over it even wears it away. No salt was put on the concrete. We are scheduling the contractor to come back out next week to look at the job so we want to be armed with information on what happened. And another issue was that even with all the rebar in it and stress joints it still cracked within a week of pouring. He did come out and look at that and replyed he has never seen that happen before. Help Patty
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 01:34 PM

" he has never seen that happen before." he can say that if this was his first job ever. He may not have done this on purpose but its jacked and you paid for a good job. Here is an analogy; painter paints my house in latex and it rains during the job, rain runs off. What's the solution? Either I do not pay one cent or he repaints. Your job was ruined. Its heis job to know the weather conditions before a pour and be able to do whatever it takes to give you a finished product. No patching here, got to come up and start over, all on his dime

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stained concreted driveway spalling [ 2 Answers ]

I have a concrete driveway that was poured in 2000. I purchased the house in late 2001 and in early 2003 had the concrete driveway stained. I have been unhappy with the results but received little help from the company that stained the concrete. The color did not seem to last and had several...

Concrete spalling potential [ 1 Answers ]

We had a concrete patio installed late last year on a hot, dry day (in N Wis). We were the last delivery for the concrete truck, and the concrete was poured and finished late in the afternoon. It cured with a very irregular surface with many trowel marks clearly visible, many ridges and low spots...

Spalling or WHAT on my new house foundation? [ 4 Answers ]

Centex home less than 1 1/2 years old. Pock marks all over foundation. One is really bad at the top of the control joint. It has spread to about 2 inches.. with more about to come off.. and at one point I can stick my finger into a hole up to my knuckle right underneath the siding. Clearly...

Concrete driveway spalling [ 1 Answers ]

Yes, I have a badly spalled driveway. I am trying to find products that I can use to repair the driveway, preferably not vynal patches. All I have been able to find is ARDEX, but no one will send it to me or tell me where I can purchase it. The spalling is not deep, 1 inch or less. Any help that...

Spalling cracks in leveling cement. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is it okay or normal after using semi- self leveling cement (ARDEX K-15) to level floors from feather edge to .75”, I notice spalling hairline cracks throughout the installation and I would like to know if this is going to ruin my efforts to level the floor before gluing down...

View more questions Search